The Fellwock Roll & Panel Co. was one of the first firms to manufacture aftermarket rear tonneau seats (aka auxiliary or mother-in-law seats). Fellwock's detachable seats were designed for circa 1905-1908 Maxwell, Mitchell and Ford roadsters, and their 'Fellmax Limousine Top' was one of the first fully-enclosed tops to be marketed to roadster owners. As auto manufactureres began offering their own mother-in-law seats, Fellwock turned to the manufacture of windshields, but by 1910 had gotten out of the auto body accessory business in favor of the more lucrative field of retail autombile sales, serving as Evansville's first Cadillac distributor.
The firm's three founders were sons of a German immigrant named Johann Friedrich Fellwock (#2) born October 9, 1831 in Nauhausen, Newmark, Brandenburg, Prussia to Johann Friedrich Fellwock (#1) and Maria Christina Sasse. In 1846 he emigrated to the United States with his parents and three sisters, Henriette, Ernestine and Louisa, his father establishing a farm in the Town of Theresa, Dodge County, Wisconsin.
24-yo. Johann jr. married Wilhelmina Amalia Sasse on Dec 6, 1855 in Theresa, Dodge County, Wisconsin, where he worked on the family farm, becoming naturalized on March 17, 1857. To the blessed union was born 8 children; Robert Edward (b. Mar. 1, 1860-d. Apr. 11, 1939), William Ernst (b. July 21, 1863-d. Sep. 1, 1946), Wilhelminia (b.1865-d.1919), Paul Bernardt (b.Dec. 30, 1866-d. Sep. 11, 1959), Emil (b.1869-d.1885), Anne (b.1868), John Friedrich (b.1872-d.1947) and Emma (b.1875-d.1963) Fellwock. The growing family relocated to Wilberton, Fayette County, Illinois sometime prior to 1870. Wilhelmina passed away in 1877 and Johann remarried on January 15, 1880 to Louise Auguste Schwann, who had 3 children from her first marriage; Anne (b.1856), John (b.1865) and Helene (b. 1867) Schwann.
The 1900 US census lists Johann
Friedrich Fellwock as a
school teacher living in Washington Township, Jackson County, Indiana.
census lists his son, William Ernst Fellwock, in Evansville, Pigeon
County, Indiana as an “engineer, local” and includes his wife Clara (b.
and three children; Arthur (b. Jul. 1889), Lena (b. Oct. 1891) and
Mar. 1894) Fellwock. Located just above him on the same page (William
Fountain Ave., Paul at 114 Fountain Ave.) is his younger brother Paul
Fellwock, his occupation “bookkeeper” and includes his wife Johana (b.
1871) and three children, John W. (b. Feb. 1892), Marie J. (b. Mar.
Paul B. (b. Mar. 1897) Fellwock. John Friedrich Fellwock (#3) is also
the same page (at 128 Fountain Ave.), his occupation “gluer, furniture
his wife Cristina (b. Aug. 1875) and his two daughters, Agnes (b. Mar.
and Frida (b. Oct. 1899) Fellwock.
At that time all three Fellwock brothers were working for the Bockstege Furniture Co., (cor. Franklin Street and 7th Ave.) manufacturers of the "Superior" line of parlor, library, dining and dressing tables. Formed on September 2, 1900 by Frederick Bockstege, a co-founder (in 1889) of the Karges Furniture Co. The Bockstege Company was one of the Evansville ‘Big Six Carloading Association’ (all furniture manufacturers) and occupied the 2-story brick factory originally constructed for the Armstrong Furniture Co. In 1917 the now-vacant Bockstege factory became the new home of the Hercules Body Co. a well-known manufacturer of commercial bodies whose biography can also be found elsewhere on this site. Coincidentally the Karges Wagon Co., another Evansville coachbuilder, was founded by Albert F. Karges, the furniture company’s founder.
Soon afterwards the senior Fellwock relocated to Evansville, Vanderburgh County, Indiana where he joined three of his sons – William E., Paul B., and John F. Fellwock – who had recently established the Fellwock Roll & Panel Co., a manufacturer of sturdy wood tables and roll-top desks which was formally organized in May of 1905.
At that time Evansville was home to a large number of wood-using industries staffed by mostly German craftsmen. At the turn of the century Evansville’s daily German language newspaper had a significantly larger circulation than that of its English-language counterpart.
Classified ad in the December 27, 1905 issue of The Horseless Age:
“Coupe Tops. Write Fellwock Auto Top Co. Evansville, Ind., for cut of their $60 coupe top for Olds standard runabout.”
The 1906 Evansville directory lists the Fellwock Auto Top Co., automobile coupe tops, at “1st av. near Belt R’y”, the same address as the Fellwock Roll & Panel Co.
Wednesday, January 10, 1906 Breckenridge News (Cloverport, KY):
“Fire at Evansville
“Evansville, Ind., Jan 4 - Fire destroyed the Fellwock Roll Panel company’s building and contents, corner of Fourth avenue and East Illinois street at 2:30 o’clock this morning. The loss will be $8,000 to the Fellwock company on contents. The loss on the building is not known but will not exceed $3,000 as it was an old frame structure.”
January 13, 1906 issue of the Jeffersonville (Ind.) Reflector:
“Evansville, Jan. 4 – The Fellwock Roll and Panel Company’s plant, valued at $10,000, was totally destroyed by fire at an early morning hour. The firemen were driven away from the burning building by the high winds which carried the flames clear across the street. The factory will be rebuilt in a new location on the belt line within the next few months. It had been in operation only since May, 1905.”
May 25, 1906 issue of Michigan Artisan:
“The Fellwock Roll & Panel company are now nicely located in the building formerly occupied by the Evansville Metal Bed company. Manager Fellwock says results have been very gratifying since they made their move to their present location. On January 3rd the company were visited by a severe fire but inside of two weeks after that they were located again and since then trade has been busy, as ever with the Fellwock Ron & Panel company. The company is now making veneered rolls exclusively. They have just put in a steam plant to supplant the electric motor power they have been using. The company's trade extends from the Atlantic as far as Kansas and from the Great Lakes to the Gulf.”
August 2, 1906 issue of The Automobile:
“DETACHABLE SEAT FOR RUNABOUTS.
“There are many occasions when the owner of a single-seated runabout, with its capacity for two passengers only, would consider an extra seat for a couple more passengers a convenience of no small magnitude. Often four persons can be carried even by a very light car, as when running quietly around on level roads, where the capacity of the machine is but slightly taxed, or when it is desired to load up with children whose weight is light. To fill this want a detachable seat has been brought out by the Fellwock Roll and Panel Company, of Evansville, Ind., made to fit the principal makes of runabouts now in use. The manufacturers state that this handy seat, which is illustrated herewith, can be attached in three minutes and removed in half that time. It is finished to match the color of the car for which it is ordered, and does not detract from the good appearance of the machine to which it is attached.”
October 1906 issue of Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal:
“Fellwock Roll & Panel Co.'s Removable Tonneau
“The Fellwock Roll & Panel Co., 210 East Pennsylvania St., Evansville, Ind., manufacture high-class Automobile tops and Removable Tonneaus. The cut herewith shows one of their tonneaus fitted to a Model "L" Maxwell -Briscoe Runabout. This rear tonneau is well built, light, yet strong and matches Model L as nearly as possible. In the rear is a drop door which gives access to rear deck of body. All the necessary steps are included and the entire tonneau can be set on and securely fastened in three seconds, it is claimed, and again taken off in a moment. It is nicely finished and upholstered and has the same high-toned appearance as Model L itself. Its price is $50, and it is furnished in black or Brewster green. The manufacturers also make tonneaus to fit Maxwell Speedsters and Wayne Model H. Tonneaus for other makes will shortly be added.”
January 21, 1907 issue of the Indianapolis News:
“Articles have been filed with the Secretary of State for the incorporation of the following companies:
“Fellwock Automobile Manufacturing Company, Evansville; capital, $20,000; directors, P.B. Fellwock, W.E. Fellwock and J.F. Fellwock.”
February 25, 1907 issue of Michigan Artisan:
“The Fellwock Automobile & Manufacturing Company is now the name of what was formerly the Fellwock Roll & Panel Company. P. B. Fellwock of the Bockstege Furniture Company and his brother who has been running the roll and panel works since he was put in charge of the Bockstege plant, have bought out all the other stockholders and have changed the name as above. The new concern will manufacture rolls exclusively and is the biggest exclusive roll manufacturing plant in the country.”
February 14, 1907 issue of the Automobile:
“The Fellwock Automobile & Manufacturing Company has been organized in Evansville, Ind. Incorporation papers showing a capital stock of $30,000 have been filed, and the company is ready for manufacturing. Those interested are W.E. Fellwock, president; J.F. Fellwock, vice-president, and P.B. Fellwock, secretary and treasurer. It is stated that the company will have the agency for the Maxwell, the Stoddard-Dayton and the Baker electric cars, in addition to the extensive manufacturing it will conduct. A tonneau, or surrey seat, to sell at $50, and made to fit many of the standard runabouts, will be made. It will be furnished complete with steps, hook, rubber mat and tip, and it is asserted that it can be set on and securely fastened in thirty seconds. Turntables, tops and shields will be made. One of the principal top models is a detachable top to fit the Maxwell runabout. It is upholstered in cloth, has French bevel plates, is made from sound lumber and genuine leather. It will sell for $200. The front and rear glasses are hinged at the top, and can be swung up at will.”
February 1907 issue of The Motor Way:
“Several motorists of Evansville Ind. are preparing to enter the manufacturing business and expect to be ready for active operations within a short time. Preliminary to opening their factory they have organized the Fellwock Automobile Manufacturing Company with a capital stock of $20,000. P.B., W.E. and J.F. Fellwock are the principal stockholders in the company.”
March 1907 issue of Wood Craft:
“The name of the Fellwock Roll and Panel Co., Evansville, Ind., has been changed to the Fellwock Automobile and Mfg. Co. Neither the management nor the product will be changed. While an automobile department has been added, the company writes us that this will in nowise interfere with its roll business, which it will continue to push to the fullest capacity of its plant.”
Display ad in the March 1907 issue of the Horseless Age:
“The Fellwock Tonneau FOR MAXWELLS AND MITCHELLS
“An attachment of positive merit, can be set on or taken off in the twinkling of an eye without any alterations to the car; especially made to fit all Maxwell and Mitchell 1906 and 1907 Runabouts. For winter Sport we furnish a set of strong sleigh runners to fasten under this Tonneau; they cost $2.50. Price of Tonneau, $50 net, f.o.b. Evansville. If desired we ship it on approval. Write for catalogue of Tonneaus. Tops, Turntables and Wind Shields. The Fellwock Auto & Mfg. Co. 320·322 Up. Fourth St., Evansville, Ind.”
April 1907 issue of The Motor Way:
“The Fellwock Automobile & Manufacturing Company of Evansville, local agents for the Maxwell, National, Mitchell, Stoddard-Dayton and Baker cars, has leased the building at 320-322 Upper 4th street and will open one of the most pretentious and up to date garages in southern Indiana.”
Display ad in the April 1907 issue of the Horseless Age:
“The "Fellwock" Tonneau. Especially made to fit all Maxwell Runabouts, also Ford and Model E Mitchell. Price $50. Shipped on approval. Write for catalog of Tonneau Tops, Turntables and Wind Shields. THE FELLWOCK AUTO & MFG. CO. 320-322 Up. fourth St., EVANSVILLE, IND.”
Became Jewell dealers in May of 1907.
September 11, 1907 issue of The Horseless Age:
“A Runabout Coupe Body
“A new coupe body for attachment to runabouts has been brought out by the Fellwock Auto and Manufacturing Company, Evansville, Ind. The body is so designed that all controlling devices are enclosed, and the operator is completely protected from adverse weather conditions. The cut here shows the body as fitted to a Maxwell runabout. Large side and front windows of plate glass are fitted in upright wooden members of such narrow width that the view of the operator is unobstructed.”
October 25, 1907 issue of Michigan Artisan:
“The Fellwock Automobile & Panel Company is a young, but very prosperous industry. Veneered rolls for manufacturers of furniture and adjustable automobile attachments enabling the owner of a runabout to speedily change his vehicle to a touring car, with or without a top, the better to protect the driver from inclement weather when needed, are manufactured. The company maintains a garage and deals largely in automobiles. P. B. Fellwock of the company, appears in the combination illustrated above, supporting his favorite Maxwell.”
June 1908 issue of Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal:
“Fellwock Rumble and Folding Seats for Maxwell Runabouts
“The two types of rear seats here illustrated have been designed especially for the Maxwell runabouts and are manufactured by the Fellwock Automobile & Mfg. Co., 318-324 Upper Fourth street, Evansville, Ind. One is the ‘Winner’ rumble seat which is easily attached or detached and gives the car a tony appearance. It is furnished in either single or double style measuring respectively 18 and 24 inches in Width. Either accommodates grown persons. Painting and striping matches that of the car and the upholstering is in genuine leather not tufted so that it will shed rain. A tool box is provided under the seat. No change in the body of the car is necessary excepting the removal of the rear deck. This seat weighs 35 pounds and lists at $30 for the single style and $35 for the double style. The ‘Little Dandy’ is a smaller seat of the folding type and is intended for children only. It measure 24 inches in width and weighs 25 pounds, listing at $25.”
1908 Motor Cyclopedia:
Fellwock Automobile & Mfg. Co. Evansville, Ind. Office salesroom and garage, 320-322 Upper 4th St. Factory 21 E. Pa. St. (Maxwell Mitchell Stoddard-Dayton, National, Baker, Ford.) Mfrs. wood and metallic bodies, automobile seats, tops, turntables, glass windshields. Est. 1906. Capital, $20,000 authorized; $12,000 paid in. W. E. Fellwock, pres. and sales mgr.; J. F. Fellwock, vice-pres. and head of mfg. dept.; P. B. Fellwock, sec. treas. and gen. mgr. Garage, 30 cars: repairing. Fellwock, J. F.—Vice-pres. Fellwock Auto & Mfg. Co., 320-322 Upper 4th St., Evansville, Ind.
Fellwock, P. B.—Sec. and treas. Fellwock Auto & Mfg. Co., 320-322 Upper 4th St., Evansville, Ind.
Fellwock, W. E.—Pres. and sales mgr. Fellwock Auto & Mfg. Co., 320-322 Upper 4th St., Evansville, Ind.
March 1909 issue of Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal:
“Fellwock Auto &. Mfg. Co., Evansville, Ind., exhibited the ‘Perfect’ wind shield fitted with solid mahogany, brass bound edges, French polish plate glass, 3/16-in. thick, price $25. The shield can be raised or lowered by the driver while running the car.
“This shield is arranged to move either up or down and can be clamped permanently by small cam-like clamps, one at each end. When folded it is prevented from rattling by means of a small thumb screw which enters a threaded socket in the upper half of the shield. In this booth was also shown the Maxwell rumble tonneau seat for 14 H. P. 1908-1909 Maxwell cars, price $50. There was also shown in this booth the Eberman auto power tire pump by Harvey H. Reynolds, manufacturer's sales agent, 1205 Monadnock, Chicago. This little pump is of the power type, can be placed permanently on the vehicle in such a position that it can be rocked against the periphery of the fly wheel, having sufficient hose to reach any of the four wheels. A feature of this pump is that it is small enough so that it can be placed on 90 percent of the cars without interfering with the other parts of the mechanism. These are made in two sizes, selling for $15 and $20, including all necessary adjustments.”
Fellwock Automobile Manufacturing Company of 210 East Pennsylvania St. Evansville, Indiana built tonneau bodies for Maxwell, Mitchell and Ford automobiles that were purchased locally. They also built some complete cars from 1907-1908. The owners were B.B. Fellwock, W.E. Fellwock and J.F. Fellwock.
November 1908 issue of Packages:
"The veneer business with us is very fine at this time," said P. B. Fellwock of the Fellwock Auto & Mfg. Co. "I look for business to remain good the rest of this fall and all winter. The year has been a very good one for us and our business is getting better all the time." The Fellwock Auto & Mfg. Co. which is a large maker of veneered rolls has moved into its new factory at the corner of Virginia and Harriet streets. It is now prepared to handle an increasing business. P. B. Fellwock has resigned as secretary and treasurer of the Reckstege Furniture Co. in order to devote all his time to the Fellwock Auto & Mfg. Co.”
Fellwock was mentioned in an overview of windshields found in the February 3, 1910 issue of the Automobile:
“In the moderate-priced division the offering of the Fellwock Auto & Mfg. Co., of Evansville, Ind., is particularly notable. It is a divided shield, folding, and simple and neat in appearance. The frame is of wood, which will please those who like a substantial air. The design shows a desire to build a strong and reliable shield, without undue frills.”
By mid-1910 the Fellwock Auto & Mfg. Co., had become the Evansville distributor for Cadillac automobiles.
At the 1910 Chicago Auto Show, Fellwock introduced a promising wind shield for aeroplanes, the February 12, 1910 issue of the Indianapolis News reporting:
“Wind Shield for Aeroplanes
“The signs of the times were shown yesterday at the Fellwock booth in the First Regiment Armory when a big crowd gathered to look at a strange contrivance, a direct outgrowth of the automobile business. It was a wind shield for aeroplanes and the accessory was one of the features of the Fellwock exhibit. What a change from a year or so ago, and what dreams of the future this gives rise to! However, there is no time for philosophy in business, and the sales agent was busy explaining how the aeroplane is such a direct outgrowth of the auto that the shield for the one is almost the same as the shield for the other, only, of course, the sky-flying glass must be lighter that that used on the skimmer of the earth.
“E.D. Fellwock was busy explaining the operation of the shields in a thoroughly businesslike manner, as if the contrivance he is manufacturing was the most common sort of everyday necessity. HE evidently never thought of the dreams of the ages at last come true, and the fact only goes to show the quickness with which the American, never given to idle wonderment, immediately sees the practical value of an accomplishment of the human race that is not yet finished with its thrillers. Mr. Fellwock has immediately set out to take advantage of the proposition without wasting time on heroics, and as a result of his business acumen the old world is again left in the rear by an American.
“It is right in line of possibilities that the Fellwocks next year will have an aeroplane here, upon which to demonstrate the famous folding shields.”
February 1911 issue of MoToR:
“Fellwock Trunk Rumble; Fellwock Auto & Mfg. Co., Evansville, Ind. This is one of the latest and nobbiest attachments marketed by the above company. It stands for both looks and service, and is very handsome in appearance. The bottom is a tapered trunk, a little wider at its base to give it grace. It is considerably larger than a tool box and is metal covered and iron bound, and it is dust and water proof. It has the conventional trunk catches and lock with two keys, the hinges in front. The upper part or seat portion is also of metal with a round brass bead on the top to give it a finish. Genuine leather cushion and strap is included. The single seat is $20 and the double seat is $30.”
New Incorporations column of the April 4, 1912 issue of the Automobile:
“Evansville, Ind. - Victor Automobile Company: capital $8,000; to manufacture automobile parts. Incorporators; P.B. Fellwock, W.E. Fellwock, J.F. Fellwock, H. F. Nolte.”
May 24, 1913 Automobile Topics:
“The Fellwock Auto & Mfg. Co. has purchased a large plot of land adjoining its establishment for a $12,000 building. It will manufacture tops, curtains, cushions and portable garage equipment.”
April 1915 Evansville Courier?:
“Johann Co. Purchase Cadillac Ambulance
“The past week an automobile ambulance was contracted for by the Albert Johann & Sons Co. The contract was awarded to the Fellwock Auto & Mfg. Co., for one of their special Cadillac chassis. This complete ambulance will be built by the Fellwock Auto Company in conjunction with the Evansville Carriage Works who also built the Evansville Police Patrol body, and who have quite a reputation for fine work.”
Evansville's Police Dept. put into service a
patrol wagon in 1915. The bare 1915 Cadillac V-8 truck-utility chassis
shipped to Fellwock Cadillac who took it directly over to the
Carriage Works where the custom body was built and fitted. Research
revealed that Cadillac was quite actively promoting their utility
ambulances, delivery vans, etc. The Carriage Works was founded in 1905
and repair buggies, wagons, etc. It quickly changed into an automobile
shop and operated from 1905 to 1946, the building has survived.
July 28, 1915 Indianapolis News:
“Articles have been filed with the Secretary of State for the incorporation of the following companies:
“Fellwock Sales Company, Evansville; capital, $10,000; directors, A.E., J.F. and J.W. Fellwock.”
September 16, 1916 Fort Wayne Gazette:
“The Fellwock Automobile and Manufacturing company, Evansville, has changed Its name to Fellwock Auto company.”
September 1916 issue of Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal:
“Fellwock Auto & Mfg. co., Evansville, Ind., has been succeeded by the Fellwock Auto Co.”
Original Fellwock Garage 315 Court St
Evansville Journal-News 11/24/1907
Division (Court) St and 4th St elevations and floor plans
August 13, 1917 Indianapolis News:
“Frustrate Plan To Burn Factory
“Evansville, Ind. August 30. – An attempt mated Tuesday night to burn the Fellwock automobile factory here were frustrated by James L. Dunlevy, fire chief, and two bicycle officers. Twenty pounds of oil soaked rags were found in the rear of the factory, and Chief Dunlevy and the two bicycle officers lay in wait near the rags. Toward midnight a negro came riding through the alley on a bicycle. Dunlevy ordered the negro to stop, but he speeded up and escaped, although Chief Dunlevy fired one shot at him.”
The Fellwock brothers father, Johann
Friedrich Fellwock (#2) died on August 17, 1919 at the age of 87.
1919 - Cadillac Participation in the World War:
“EVANSVILLE IND Fellwock Auto Co. Fellwock, Paul C., US Motor Transport Corps.; Fellwock, Oscar, US Air Service.”
A discussion in regards to the Evansville’s talking machine cabinet manufacturing industry that was published in the ‘Evansville News’ column of the October 17, 1919 issue of the Indianapolis News reported:
“A third talking machine factory, to be operated by the J.F. Fellwock Company, has been in operation in Evansville for the last two months.
1920 Dodge, Cadillac automobile and Reo truck dealers
Evansville Courier - 2/11/1923 Construction of new Fellwock Auto Co
Evansville Courier-Journal 2/24/1924:
“An addition to the Fellwock Auto Company in Fourth St, opposite the Court House”
The dark glazed brick facade and limestone trimmings was the first in Evansville built expressly for the purpose of servicing motor powered vehicles. Fellwocks were seeking a new and modern image for the auto company distinguishing themselves from the buggy makers and tinkerers of the community who also dabbled with motor cars just around the corner the Fellwock auto company building on nw fourth the rear of the garage connects to this building Fellwock Garage, Glass Specialty Company.
One of Evansville’s early automotive dealers buys Old Owls Home and tears it down for new addition 1922 boasts automobile elevator, was home of a Buick dealership until 1960s white enameled bricks green terra cotta ornamentation and the second floor horizontal windows; later Martin Tile and Floor.
“GUY R. DUNPHY is one of the prominent representatives of the automotive trade in the City of Vincennes, where he is president of the Dunphy Automobile Company, which here has the agency for the celebrated Cadillac and Pontiac cars and which maintains its metropolitan headquarters at the corner of Sixth and Vigo streets.
“Mr. Dunphy was born in the State of Kentucky, October 9, 1873, and was a child at the time of the family removal to Illinois, where his father became a successful business man. He is a son of William Dunphy, who was born in Ireland and who was a young man when he came to the United States, where eventually was solemnized his marriage to Miss Elizabeth Jennings, the children of this union being five in number: Lena is the widow of O. O. Rice; Guy R., of this review, was next in order of birth; Charles W. resides in Chicago, in the employ of the International Harvester Company, and the maiden of his wife was Edna Gordon; Jennie C., deceased, was the wife of C. P. Gordon; Carl E., and his wife, Effie, reside at Roanoke, Virginia, and he is there successfully established in business.
“Guy R. Dunphy received his youthful education in the schools of Illinois and when about eighteen years of age he entered the service of the International Harvester Company, at St. Louis, Missouri, with which great corporation he continued his association until 1916, he having in the meanwhile won advancement through various departments and having finally been made the manager of the company’s important branch in Cincinnati, Ohio. Upon resigning this office, in 1916, he came to Vincennes and effected the reorganization of the Hartman Manufacturing Company, manufacturers of farm implements. He was made assistant sales manager, as well as director of the company, and with the concern he continued his active alliance until 1921, when its plant and business were sold to the Blount Plow Company of Evansville, this state. It was at this juncture that Mr. Dunphy turned his attention to the automobile business, by purchasing the Gibson Overland branch at the corner of First and Main streets, Vincennes. On May 15, 1922, he purchased also the business of the Fellwock Automobile Company, at the corner of Sixth and Vigo streets, the two enterprises having been consolidated at the latter location, where the business has since been continued as one of the most successful automotive agencies in this historic old city. In addition to handling the Cadillac and Pontiac cars the Dunphy Automobile Company has also the local agency for the LaSalle and Oakland cars.
“Mr. Dunphy is a past director of the Vincennes Chamber of Commerce, is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, in which he has the distinction of being a member of historic Vincennes Lodge No.1, A. F. and A. M., and is a member of the Vincennes Harmony Club. His political allegiance is given to the Democratic party, and he was elected as councilman at large of the City of Vincennes in 1930, on the Democratic ticket. In the World war period Mr. Dunphy was active in support of patriotic movements of his home community and made liberal subscriptions to the Government war bonds. In the 1930-31 roll call he was chairman of the Vincennes Chapter of the American Red Cross. He has won secure vantage-ground as one of the progressive business men and loyal citizens of Vincennes, and gives his major attention to the affairs of the Dunphy Automobile Company, of which he is president and general manager.
“Mr. Dunphy, on October 9, 1895, at Sumner, Illinois, married Miss Jessie M. Couchman, of Lawrence County, Illinois, and their child, Ernestine, is the wife of George A. Mischler, who is assistant auditor of the Vincennes Bridge Company and who was in Government service in the World war period. They have one child, Guy W. Mischler.”
© 2014 Mark Theobald for Coachbuilt.com