George W. Copp was born in 1882 in
Massachusetts to parents
of Scotch descent. The names of his parents and his early history is
prior to the 1910 US Census which puts him in Manhattan’s 22nd
his occupation; salesman of ‘fine automobiles’.
At about this time Copp married Anna B.
????, and the union
was blessed with at least three children, George
W. Copp jr., L. J. Copp, and Kathleen Joan
During the teens he became involved with the
New York Auto
Equipment Co. Inc., a retailer of car parts and accessories, and
the firm, which was located at 351-55 W. 52nd St., New York.
The firm was listed in Chilton’s 1917
Automotive Directory under
Automobile Tops, Tire Cases, Radiator & Hood Covers, Curtains, Slip
Back Rests as follows:
“New York Auto Equipment Co. 351-55 W 52d
St., New York, NY
- Geo. W. Copp, Pres. & Gen’l Mgr.”
The March 1918 issue of Automobile Dealer
and Repairer announced
that New York Auto Equipment Co. would be now known as George W. Copp.
“A matter of some interest along Automobile
Row is the
change in name of the well known New York Auto Equipment Co. Inc. who
hereafter be known as George W. Copp. Co. Inc. Mr. George W. Copp, the
president of this concern, has been identified with the automobile
trade for a
number of years in New York and his company has achieved an enviable
among the manufacturers of automobile top and body equipment. Mr.
friends have congratulated him upon this change which emphasizes his
responsibility in the product of the company. The slogan ‘For your top
go to Copp’
is given increased significance and the handsome Victoria top which is
herewith seems to prove that the admonition is a good one.”
The April 1918 issue of Automobile Dealer
mentioned the firm made a ‘specialty of custom body work’:
“Tops and Body Equipment
“George W. Copp Co. Inc. of 351-355 West 52d
York City, and formerly known as the New York Auto Equipment Co. Inc.
that they are prepared to supply automobile tops of all standard styles
as upholstery tire covers and seat fabrics. This firm also make a
custom body work as well as painting and are well known throughout the
for their excellent work.”
The Auto Trade Notes column of the July 27,
1919 New York
Times announced the firm had established an auto top showroom at 236 W.
54th St. and was now dealing in aftermarket taxicab and limousine
the Ford Model T:
“George W. Copp Company, Inc. have
opened a room at 236
West Fifty-fourth Street; near Broadway, for the display of the Anchor
inclosed demountable tops. Taxicab or limousine bodies for the Ford
complete automobile top and body equipment. S.E. Barringer is sales
According to the Auto Trade Notes column of
the August 17,
1919 New York Times, Copp was now carrying both Ustus and Anchor auto
“The George W. Copp Company, Inc.,
has long been
the distributor of the Anchor demountable glass inclosed tops for many
cars, and has just been appointed distributor of the new Ustus
Ford cars. The bodies are being shown at the Copp salesrooms, 233 West
According to a number of circa 1919
advertisements the also distributed
the Pennypacker one-man top converter for Fords.
Copp’s listing in the 1921 Vehicle Yearbook
“George W. Copp Co., Inc., r. 14th St.
and Van Alst Ave.(Queens)
Geo. W. Copp, pres. and treas.; Mrs. A. B. Copp, sec.; L.
Their listing in the 1921 edition of Trow’s
Corporation Directory list another address, 557 W. 54th Street:
“George W. Copp Co., Inc. (N.Y.) Geo.
W. Copp, Pres.;
E.B. Smith, V.Pres; Anna B. Copp, Sec. Capital, $5,000. Directors: Geo.
Anna B. Copp,. E.B. Smith. Automobile Equipment, 557 W. 54th.”
The February 3, 1921 issue of The Automobile
announced the firm
was entering the body and aut top manufacturing business:
“George W. Copp Co., Inc., has located
a manufacturing plant
at Long Island City for the building of winter tops and automobile
One year later, Copp’s numerous enterprises
at the Long Island City plant, the May 11, 1922 issue of The
Automobile / Automotive
“COPP CORP. FORMED
“NEW YORK, May 8—The merger is announced of
the George W.
Copp Co., Inc., the Copp Body Co. and the New York Auto Equipment Co.,
the Copp Corp. with a plant in Long Island City. The consolidation
advantages in the manufacture and distribution of the slide sedan top,
bodies, closed bodies and tops made by the corporation. The company now
is in a
position to deliver, for example, an order up to 50 taxicab bodies
painted, within one week. A fully equipped reconditioning and repair
also has been established.”
Text from a display ad in the February 2,
1927 New York Sun:
“Van Auken Moveable Seat Attachment for
Broughams and Sedans - $12.50 – Attached to the floor of your car while
wait. Allows ample room to, or from, the rear seat without disturbing
front. Eliminates the only possible objection to the increasingly
“Copps’ Dance Music Mondays, 9:15 P.M. WWRL
“COPP CORP., 4314 37TH STREET, Phone
Stilwell 6988 LONG ISLAND CITY.
“Metropolitan Distributors for Glassmobile –
all-year-Glass window equipment for Touring Cars and Roadsters.
Auto Re-Finishing Station.”
Help wanted ads in the March 6, 1928 Brooklyn
Daily Eagle reveals the type of work being conducted at that time:
“AUTOMOBILE BODY metal workers, experienced
repairs, etc. Copp Corp., 37th st and
Queens blvd., L. I. City. t 6-3
“AUTOMOBILE BODY upholsterers, experienced
on new work and
repairs. Copp Corp., 37th st and Queens blvd., L. L City. t 6-3
“AUTOMOBILE BODY wood workers, experienced
on repairs. Copp
Corp., 37th st and Queens blvd; Long Island City, t 6-3
“AUTOMOBILE BODY painters, chassis painter
etc. Copp Corp., 37th st and Queens blvd. Long Island City. t 6-3”
The October 2, 1930 New York Times reports
that Copp had
recently filed for bankruptcy:
“Petitions Filed-By GEORGE W. COPP.
Queens Boulevard, Long Island City, L. L-Liabilities $14,040. and no
The 1-story garage at the firm’s last –known
37th Street, Long Island City, is still standing and is the home of
& Restoring Co.
© 2013 Mark
Theobald for Coachbuilt.com