Once the center of Brighton Village*, the
East Avenue and Winton Avenue was originally known as Caley Corners.
namesake, Thomas Caley (b.1821-d. October 18, 1884) founded a business
flourished at the crossing for over a century. (*The village was
City of Rochester in 1905.)
Thomas Caley was born on the Isle of Man* in
1821 to a
clergyman of the Church of England.
Although no other information is included in
official biographies, I found a record of a Thomas Caley being baptized
September 29, 1822 in Ballaugh Parish, Isle of Man, his parents being
and Margaret (Cavine) Caley. The only Anglican Church located in the
that of St Mary de Ballaugh & Ballaugh, which was constructed in
church it replaced (Old St. Mary’s) remains standing, being originally
constructed in 1717, and after abandonment in the 1830s was
restored in 1849, 1877 and 1955. However no Caley’s are to be found in
official record of St. Mary’s rectors, published in 1925. Arthur Caley
(b.1824-d.1994), the 7’ 11” tall Manx Giant, was born in Sulby, Isle of
1824. Upon being discovered by P.T. Barnum in the mid-1850s, he moved
Manhattan where he became Colonel Routh Goshen, the Arabian Giant, a
star of P.T. Barnum’s various museums and traveling exhibitions.
(*The Isle of Man is a self-governing
British Crown dependency
located in the Irish Sea between the islands of Great Britain and
Although the Caley children were brought up
in a scholarly
household, both sons elected to pursue mechanical trades, His older
John became apprenticed to a mason, while Thomas took up blacksmithing.
the two brothers (John being 24 and Thomas 22) and John’s wife
a boat to Liverpool where they booked passage on the steamship
Kensington for a
two week voyage to the United States.
The brothers arrived at the Port of New York
on May 30, 1842,
the US Customs House log noting the brothers arrival, along with that
21-yo wife, Catherine Caley. The trio arranged for a smaller vessel to
them up the Hudson River to the port of Albany where they got aboard a
packet boat headed west to Rochester, where plenty of work was
available for an
enterprising blacksmith and a skilled mason.
They settled in Brighton Center, purchasing
a small shop
located on the East side of North Street (later Winton Rd.) from Justus
who established a store at that location in 1823, 5 years after moving
Brighton from his hometown of Lenox, Mass. In 1837 Yale and his son,
Yale, founded the Brighton Nurseries (T.B.
Yale & Co.), which grew to be one of
the principal nurseries in western New York. Caley’s Corner, as the
intersection become known as, was located just south of the main line
of the Auburn
& Rochester railroad (later Rochester & Syracuse RR; then New
Rochester historian Arch Merrill wrote in
‘Back in 1842, Thomas Caley opened a
blacksmith and wagon
shop at East Avenue and Winton Road. They called it ‘Caley's Corner.’
years the Caleys have been there, three generations of them, switching
automobiles when the horse and buggy days passed.’
At that time a blacksmith was a jack of all
his days making hand tools and horseshoes, shoeing horses and repairing
carriages and wagons. Caley soon began constructing his own wagons,
sleighs and carriages as demand for his handiwork increased.
In 1843 Thomas married Mary G. Hickok (b.
Sep. 2,1829 – d.
Dec. 2, 1915), the daughter of an old Vermont family, and whose father
of the first settlers of Irondequoit. Their four children are dead.
Herschel, the elder, was a member of the 21st New York Cavalry, and was
to endure the horrors of prison life at Andersonville. He was a young
especial promise. Thomas Irving, Charles Howard, and an infant
not survive childhood.
Rochester was one of upstate New York’s
centers, and by 1870, Monroe County’s approximately 65 vehicle
356 people. At that time James Cunningham, Son & Co. was the city’s
maker, employing well over half of the 356 craftsmen. By comparison,
works were mid-sized, employing from 8 to 12 hands, depending on the
Thomas Caley retired in 1879 at the age of
58, and having no
direct heirs, relinquished control of the business to his nephew, John
the son of his older brother John, a well-known Brighton contractor and
mason. The 1860 US Census lists his brother John’s family as follows:
John (b. 1816 – d. Jan. 13, 1891); Catherine
(aka Cate, b.
Aug. 20, 1824 – d. Apr. 2, 1888); Anne Jane (b. 1845); Eliza (b. 1848);
Thomas (b. 1849-d.1916); William H. (b. 1852-d. 1941); Louis N. (b.
Alexander (b. 1859); George (b. 1861);
M. (b.1865 – d. 1928); and Ida (b.1873 – d. 1878) Caley. The family
lived in a
home located on Granger Street (now Granger Place), two blocks west of
intersection of East Ave. and Culver Rd., the latter being the border
the City of Rochester’s 5th Ward and Brighton.
After completing his public education in the
schools John Thomas Caley joined his uncle’s carriage works as an
journeyman and eventually manager of the works. The 1870 US Census
lists him as
a border in his uncle’s home. Also listed in the Caley household was
Vancuron*, 20-yo, who was listed as their ‘domestic.’
Confusion arises as to whether Elisabeth
uncle’s domestic) and Elizebeth A.
Morrill (John T. Caley’s wife) are the same person. Despite the fact
that numerous Caley family
histories give John Thomas Caley’s wife’s maiden name as Vancuron (the
same as his brother’s maid), his gravestone lists her name as Elizebeth
Morrill, so I’ll refer to her by that name.
In 1875 he married Elizebeth A. Morrill (b.
Sep. 1852 – d.
1931) and to the blessed union were born 7 children: Morrill John (b.
1876-d.1952); Frank Thomas (b.1879. – d. 1961); Arthur Edward (b.
Elizabeth A. (b. 1883 - d. 1967); William Henry (b. 1886 – d. 1965);
(b. 1889-d.1978) and George A. (b. 1891 – d. 1931) Caley. The 1880 US
lists John T. Caley’s two younger brothers Lewis (b. 1856) and George
Caley as boarders in his Brighton home, their profession, blacksmiths.
In 1880 John T. Caley took in a partner,
Brighton native, J.
Sidney Nash (b. May 30, 1853 - d. Jan. 7, 1931), and the two men set
constructing a new 3-story manufactory with a fashionable Mansard roof
at the northwest
corner of East Avenue and North Street (now Winton Rd.) , approximately
feet north of the Erie Canal where it passed underneath the North St.
John Sidney Nash was born at Allen Creek,
Monroe County, New
York on May 30, 1853 to John B. (a carpenter, b. 1819) and Ann R. (b.
Nash. Siblings included: Francis M. (b. 1849); Aurora Isabell (b.
Willie G.(b. 1864) Nash. After an
education in the public schools of Brighton Sidney went to work for his
who had started his own nursery, but soon after became interested in
original trade of his father, taking a position as an apprentice in a
maker’s shop. The 1880 US Census lists the family in Brighton, his
In 1875 Nash
Lillian Adamson (b. 1854) of Fairport, New York and to the blessed
born six children: Minnie Belle (b. 1876); George Henry (b. Dec. 18,
Lillian Beatrice (b. 1886); Wayland P.(b. 1889); Pauline (b. 1893); and
Sidney jr. Nash. Unfortunately Minnie
and John Sidney Jr. failed to reach adulthood. The 1880 US Census lists
family in Brighton, J. Sidney’s occupation, carriage maker. The two
boys, George H. and Wayland P. Nash went to work for their father at
of the century; George H. Nash eventually left to work in the freight
his younger brother Wayland P. Nash worked in the upholstery shop,
a job with a Manhattan coachbuilder.
Thomas Caley, the firm’s founder, passed
away on October 18,
1884, aged 65. His passing was noted in the October 19, 1884 edition of
the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle:
“Died While Moving Stove
“Thomas Caley, an old resident of
dropped dead at
his home yesterday afternoon while engaged in moving a stove. A
physician was summoned and pronounced heart disease the cause of death.
Caley was a blacksmith by trade and well known in Brighton. He was 65
age and leaves a wife. The funeral will take place at Brighton Church,
o’clock Monday afternoon.”
A slightly longer obituary appeared in the
following day’s (October
20, 1884) edition of the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle:
“Death of Thomas Caley
“Last Saturday afternoon Thomas Caley, one
of the honored
and respected citizens of Brighton, suddenly died of paralysis of the
Mr. Caley was born in the Isle of Man in 1923. He came to this country
settled in this city in 1841. A few years later he removed to East
where he was very generally known. He had for many years held the
position as deacon in the Presbyterian Church of that place. For many
had been an active and faithful member of the Royal Templars of
beneficiary order composed of total abstainers only. The funeral
be held this afternoon at 2:30 o’clock at the Presbyterian Church in
Brighton. Rev. Dr. Hibbard, of Clifton Springs, N.Y., and Rev. Dr.
this city, will officiate.”
In 1885 they enlarged their East Avenue
headquarters, the 1888-1889 Rochester directory listing the
firm as follows:
“Caley & Nash (J.T. Caley & J. S.
Nash) carriage and
express wagon makers, East avenue at Brighton.”
The State of NY inspected the firm in 1899
at which time it
employed 12 persons, who each worked a 60-hour work week. Also
the firm of Sullivan Bros., a substantially larger firm which employed
hands in its carriage manufactory.
Caley & Nash were located just down the
street from the
Sullivan Bros.’ Rochester Carriage Co., 1701 East Ave. Other Rochester
body builders included James Cunningham, Son
& Co., 13 Canal St.; Deusing & Zieres, 128 W. Main St. (Edward
& Geo. Zieres); Ira W. Betts, 121 Reynolds St.; G.R. McCord, 206
George V. Popp, 19 Smith St.; F.C. Rehtz, 8 Mortimer St.; Rochester
Co., 362 E. Main St.; R.J. Smith Carriage Co., 17 Lake Ave.; James
Tinney, 71 Ravine Ave.; Anthony J.
Weltzer, 25 Chili Ave.; Faber Co., 951 E. Main St. (A. Faber, pres.;
Faber, treas. & sec.);, Gabel Co., 530 Monroe Ave., (A.H. Gabel,
& treas.; A.M. Gabel, sec.
& gen’l. mgr.); George Higgins,
38-40 S. Fitzhugh St.; George A. Lane, 466 North St.; Rowerdink &
78-82 North St. (W.H. Rowerdink, pres., treas., & gen’l. mgr., H.J.
Rowerdink, sec. & pur. agt.); C. Schnackel, Sons 458 Joseph
Ave.; A.F. Stewart, 166 Front St.; Hoffman Wagon & Carriage Co.,
Paul St.; and the Trimble Mfg. Co., 466 Central Ave.
In the late 1880s Caley and Nash constructed
a 50-passenger stage/charabanc which at the time was dubbed 'the
largest horsedrawn vehicle in the world', drawn by six draft horses,
the massive coach was used to transport visitors around the 1893
Exposition in Chicago, Illinois.
In 1905 Caley and Nash consturcted an even
larger vehicle, dubbed the 'Twentieth Century Tally Ho.' Pictured to
the right, the eight-horse
carriage carried up to 65 passengers in and around Rochester's Durand
Eastman Park - it too was referred to as the 'largest horse-drawn
vehicle in the world.'
At about the same time, the Park's main
benefactor, George Eastman, abandoned his carriage in favor of a
horseless contraption, presenting the outdated conveyance to John T.
Caley, who presented it to his daughter,
Elizabeth A. Caley.
The January 1, 1912 issue of the Cycle and
Automobile Trade Journal announced that Caley & Nash were now
constructing coachwork for motor-driven vehicles:
“A Commercial Car Convert
Caley & Nash, of Rochester, N. Y.,
formerly engaged in the carriage building business, have joined the
ranks of the truck manufacturers. The company recently erected an
addition to its
plant to take care of its new product.”
John T. Caley passed away on May 3, 1916,
his obituary - which appeared in the May 4, 1916 edition of the
Democrat & Chronicle - follows:
“Death of John T. Caley
“For Many Years in Business In Brighton
“John T. Caley, for many years a carriage
blacksmith, died yesterday morning after a short illness at his home,
Winton Road, aged 65 years. He was in his shop up to closing time on
and appeared to be in good health.
“Mr. Caley was the son of John and
Caley. For more
than forty years he was active in business in Brighton and Rochester.
He was a
member of the Monroe Commandery, Knights Templar; Damascus Temple,
Shrine; Hamilton Chapter and Valley Lodge, of the lodge, he was a life
He was a Republican.
“He is survived by his wife, Elizebeth A.
five sons, Morrill J., supervisor of the Twenty-first ward; Frank T.;
P.; William H. and George A. Caley; two daughters, Mrs. Thomas ??? of
and Mrs. Arthur Whitecraft of Pittsburgh;; two brothers, William Caley
Kansas City and Lewis Caley; three sisters, Mrs. Jane Allen of Port
Ont., Mrs. Ezra Carswell and Mrs. Allen
Wright Schutter, of Henrietta and seven grandchildren.”
Shortly before John Thomas Caley’s passing
his sons and
junior partner had incorporated the firm as a stock company, the ‘New
Incorporations’ column of the January 1916 issue of the Accessory and
“Rochester NY - Caley & Nash, Inc.,
$15,000, to deal in
autos carriages. M.J. Caley; J.S. Nash; F. T. Caley.”
John Sidney Nash was elected president with
Frank T. Caley,
vice president and Morrill J. Caley, secretary-treasurer. The Rochester
directories give J. Sidney Nash’s home address as 1894 East Ave., one
east of the Caley & Nash factory.
Very few images of the firm’s craftsmanship
photo exists of a circa 1920 Rochester Packing Co. chain drive truck
with a ‘Blue
Ribbon Ham’ advertisement on its side bearing a sign stating it was
Caley and Nash body builders] - the back of the picture has a date of
24, 1920. Although it’s unidentified, the truck is most likely a
plant was located literally one block due West of the Caley & Nash
Caley & Nash is known to have produced
much of Selden's factory coachwork, serving more-or-less as the firm’s
bus and truck body builder.
Caley & Nash also served as the City of Rochester’s coachbuilder of
of the City of Rochester’s Board of Estimate and Apportionment include
multiple payments made out to the firm in varying amounts – most were
repairs although an occasional order for a municipal body can be found.
For example; during the December 28, 1921
meeting of the City
of Rochester’s Board of Estimate and Apportionment, they voted to award
contract for 1 Police Patrol Wagon Body to Caley & Nash (the only
would be paid a $725 lump sum.
Some of the bus bodies Caley & Nash
Selden caught the attention of the Goodyear Tire &
Rubber Co., of Akron, Ohio, who in early 1920
ordered a 31 ft. long center-entrance bus body for the firm’s
experimental six-wheeled autobus chassis.
The chassis included under-mounted
rear axles whose universal joints were interconnected by a rotating
member, which helped absorb braking and driving thrusts. During the
late teens Goodyear engineer Ellis W. Templin (1886-1966) had developed
in collaboration with Chester M. McCreery while working on Goodyear's
six-wheel truck / pneumatic-tire program.
In order to increase the load-carrying
capacity of 5-to
6-ton trucks without increasing the load height of the truck bed,
engineers proposed to distribute the load across a pair of tandem axles
correspondingly smaller pneumatic tires. In 1920 they introduced their
vehicle, the Goodyear Six-Wheel Truck, and promptly set about staging a
coast-to-coast run to advertise the cost-effectiveness of the concept.
Templin’s earliest design used a combination
worm and chain
drive unit, but by 1923, he had developed a new, improved version with
drive axles. After working for Goodyear, Templin joined Six-Wheel as
engineer to oversee production of the bogies, after which he went to
Timken-Detroit Axle, served as chief automotive engineer for the City
Angeles Department of Water & Power and later founded his own firm,
Micro-Nut Co. The licensing arrangement with Goodyear was simple, users
Goodyear-Templin Bogie were required to install Goodyear rubber on
whatever they built.
Although Goodyear didn't put the vehicle
into production, the American
Body Corp. of Philadelphia did, announcing in 1924 that they had
received a license from Goodyear to
build six wheel chassis for buses. Financier Charles J. Schwab owned
American Body and in 1924 formed the Six Wheel Co., to handle the
manufacture and distribution of the chassis which were marketed as
'Safeway Six-Wheel' coaches and trucks.
Former Goodyear engineers Templin and McCreery joined the firm as
vice-president and chief engineer respectively, its officers being:
Rodney D. Day, president; Ellis W. Templin,
vice-president; Chester M. McCreery, chassis engineer; and Charles
Eustace Dwyer, sales manager.
The streetcar-style body that Caley &
Nash built for the original 1921 Goodyear prototype was 7 ft. 6
in. wide, 31 ft. long, and offered 6 ft. 8 in. of head room. The
was sided with ‘Vehisote,’ and the interior walls and roof lined with
brand porcelain coated bonded metal plywood. The seating for 44
upholstered in black nitrite-coated imitation leather which covered
constructed using sturdy DeArcy springs. The driver’s compartment was
separate from the passengers, the latter being equipped with a Peter
entrance consisting of a conductor seated between two doors – one for
entering, and one for
Numerous pictures of the 6-wheeled Goodyear
motor coach appeared in the motoring press at the time, several of
articles describing the firm’s unique suspension. Although some of the
articles state that
a second body was built for the 8-wheeled coach that appeared in 1922,
close examination revels it bears the same Caley & Nash-built
body of its 6-wheeled predecessor. The September 1920 issue of Electric
Traction described the Goodyear-developed 6-wheeled prototype in great
“New Six-Wheel Center Entrance Bus
“Bus with Body Resembling Street Car Body
Constructed and Used In Akron, Ohio
“The first six wheel passenger bus in
America has been built by The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company for
use around its Akron factories. The bus made its initial trip
hauling passengers during the recent street car strike which paralyzed
in Akron immediately following the fourth of July holidays.
“The new bus resembles a street
car in size and shape and when it was driven from Rochester, where the
body was built,
a ruralite near Buffalo exclaimed on seeing it, 'Look at the trolley
on rubber tires.'
“It is 31 ft. long and seats forty-four
passengers, while it can accommodate a load of over eighty people. A
engine furnishes the power. Enter and exit doors are in the middle of
after the style of the latest street cars. A shell housing covers the
in the forward part of the car, and does not in any way interfere with
“The passenger bus, like the first
motor trucks designed by Goodyear for pneumatic tires, is a successful
experiment with six-wheel equipment. It can develop a speed of ten or
twelve miles an hour and astonishes all passengers by its easy and
riding qualities over the most lumpy pavements.
“Designed For Six or Eight Wheels
“At first glance one would think the bus
rather high from the ground but the impression is gained from the wheel
the body which are cut high to permit experiments with the largest
truck tires made The bus was designed to be operated either on six or
with double trucks at both front and rear The ultimate tire equipment
heavy payloads on motor trucks is believed have been solved by the
development of the multiple wheel truck by engineers of The Goodyear
Rubber Company Akron Ohio.
“Tandem Axle Truck
“Actual demonstration and close tabulation
of results indicate clearly that this six-wheeler, or tandem-axle
truck, with four pneumatic-equipped rear wheels, has steadier riding
better traction, is less destructive to roads, decreases tire weight
costs, reduces axle weight, has greater braking capacity, and permits
“At a recent meeting of the Cleveland and
Detroit sections of the Society of Automotive Engineers, P.W.
manager of the company in question, expressed the belief that the heavy
of the future would be some form of the multiple wheel vehicle, just as
multiple wheel freight car succeeded the single-truck type in the
of heavy loads.
“Eight Inch Pneumatic Tires Used
“The new six wheel truck is equipped with
40 x 8 pneumatic tires (each weighing 119 pounds) in the rear instead
of the giant 48 x 12
(weighing about 398 pounds each) used on the 5 ton trucks. This means a
of some 279 pounds in weight which the driver on tire changes has to
in addition, the smaller tires cost almost one third less than the
ones. The cost of tire investment is further reduced since the
tire can be used all around on the six-wheel truck and the extra tire
can be used
as the front wheel spare. Another objection to the 48 x 12 tire, which
entirely overcome by the four smaller tires, is the extremely high
gravity - the truck load being raised too high off the ground. The new
construction gives not only a reduction in total tire weight, but a
reduction in axle weight as well. Moreover, greater braking capacity is
the use of four brakes instead of two.
“In spite of the fact that the four
eight-inch tires have a road contact area which is twenty-seven percent
greater than that of
the two twelve-inch pneumatics, the new truck shows very much better
qualities. In the tests this was especially noticeable in comparison
solids or pneumatics on highly crowned roads and in soft going where
traction surface kept the wheels from sinking in deeply and the truck
stalling. Increased ease in handling seems to be one of the chief
pneumatics on the tandem axle the six wheeler seems to cling to the
“Experiments With Six and Eight-Wheel
“Is the motor truck of the future, to be
built with six and
even eight wheels?
“The multiple wheel truck with
tandem axle drive is now declared to be practical after two years of
by The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company of Akron, Ohio. E.W. Templin,
designing engineer of the highway transportation department of Goodyear
declares that the principle of
the six-wheel truck can no longer be questioned, and that the
type he has been working on for the past two years is practical in
and needs only a few minor changes before it is ready to be
placed on the market.
“The big idea behind the six-wheel truck
carry a heavier load on smaller tires; reduce materially the weight of
the truck, and lessen expense and cost of operation. It is said in
the tandem wheels that they will sustain tremendous loads without
overloading the tires and with five inch clearance between the wheels
weight of truck and load is distributed in such a manner as to insure
on any highway without damaging the road.
“The type used by Mr. Templin was built
a 5 x 6 Hercules motor and 1 1/2-ton axles, solid tire rating of
construction. Goodyear demountable rims are used with 21-in. brake
drums. The truck weighs 800 pounds less than the average 5-ton solid
“The ‘six-wheeler,’ as it is commonly
around Akron where experiments have been going on, has a ground
clearance one and
one-half times greater than the average motor truck of 5 tons. The
governed to thirty miles an hour at 1,400 r.p.m. of engine. It is
seven speed transmission.
“There is also talk in engineering circles
that an eight wheel truck will shortly make its appearance there
being experiments at the present time with this type of truck for the
of hauling passengers in cities that have outgrown their street car
“The new truck emphasizes the necessity of
carrying equipment to inflate tires. Back of the seat where it will not
interfere with the power under the hood is carried a two cylinder
Kellogg pump with
capacity to inflate a 10-in. tire to 150 lbs. in nine minutes.
“Only a few years ago the idea that
pneumatic tires could be used on trucks of any kind was ridiculed. Now
that the use of the
pneumatic tire for trucks has been universally accepted, experiments
show that the larger the weight placed upon a single axle truck, the
be the tires, and now as a final culmination of the experiment it is
beyond a doubt that the tandem axle drive with four wheels is a logical
successor of the single axle drive, and that four wheels with smaller
tires will carry
a greater pay load than two wheels with the very largest tires
While it might be a year or two before the tandem axle drive or
six-wheel truck is placed on the market by some truck
manufacturers, still engineers regard the new type as a step nearer in
of future domination of the world's transportation by the motor truck.
“While Goodyear does not contemplate
trucks it does propose to carry on experiments for the benefit of the
truck user and manufacturers in the hope that it can contribute
developments to improve transportation by highways.”
The September 18, 1920 issue of the American
Lumberman further details of Goodyear's six-wheel program were revealed:
“Experiments with 6 Wheel Trucks
“Lumbermen who, thru experience, have come
to value the 8-wheel
log wagon so highly will unquestionably be interested by some
conducted by the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. with 6-wheel trucks. So
is known none have been tried out in the lumber industry but it would
such a truck following in the lead of the 8-wheel log wagon might find
fitting place in the logging end of the business.
“In the early part of July a 6-wheel
passenger bus was
received in Akron which was used to haul people during the street car
that city. The Goodyear Tire & Co has another 6-wheel covered truck
freight from Akron to Cleveland and Boston. Describing this truck,
shown in the
accompanying illustration, the Goodyear News Service has the following
“‘The ultimate tire equipment for heavy
payloads on motor
trucks is believed to have been found by the recent development of the
wheel truck by engineers of the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
“Actual demonstration and close tabulation
clearly that this 6-wheeler or tandem axle construction truck, with
pneumatic equipped rear wheels, has steadier riding qualities, better
is less destructive to roads, decreases tire weight and costs, reduces
weight, has greater braking capacity, and permits greater operating
“At a recent meeting of the Cleveland and
of the Society of Automotive Engineers, P. W. Litchfield, factory
manager of the
company in question, expressed the belief that the heavy tonnage truck
future would be some form of the multiple-wheel vehicle, just as the
freight car succeeded the single-truck type in the transportation of
“The new 6-wheel truck is equipped with 40
(each weighing 1 pounds) in the rear instead of the giant 48 x 12
898 pounds each) used on the 5-ton trucks. This means a reduction of
pounds in the weight the driver has to lift to make tire change; and in
addition, the smaller tires cost almost one-third less than the larger
The cost of tire investment is further reduced since the 8-inch tire
used all around on the 6-wheel truck and the extra tire can be used as
front wheel spare.
“Another objection to the 48 x 12 tire –
which is entirely
overcome by the four smaller tires – is the extremely high center of
the truck load being raised too high off the ground when the larger
used. The new 6-wheel construction gives not only a reduction in total
weight but a material reduction in axle weight as well. Moreover
braking power is attained in the use of four brakes instead of two.
“In spite of the fact that the four 8-inch
tires have a road
contract area that is 27 percent greater than that of the two 12-inch
pneumatics, the new truck shows very much better traction qualities. In
tests this was especially noticeable in comparison with dual solids or
pneumatics on highly crowned roads and in soft going where additional
surface kept the wheels from sinking in too deeply and the truck from
Increased ease in handling seems to be one of the chief features. With
pneumatics on the tandem axle, the 6-wheeler seems to cling to the
The March 1921 issue of Road-Maker,
and Grader provided detilas specifications of the Caley &
“Six-Wheel Bus Operating Again In
“On the Goodyear Heights Bus Line a
6-wheel bus is being operated satisfactorily. The service
given by the vehicle indicates that this type of bus can be used
successfully in cities or between cities for interurban traffic.
“Recently this bus made a trip to
Toledo, O., a distance of about 200 miles, with an average speed of
between 15 and 20
miles per hour. In the regular service on
the Goodyear Heights line
the 6-wheel bus makes the same schedule as another truck with but
the capacity. The bus is easily and quickly loaded and unloaded.
This may be easily realized on studying the arrangement of doorways
shown in the
accompanying illustration (Fig. 2).
“On a recent trip the bus carried
86 passengers although the maximum capacity standing and seated is 90,
capacity being 44 persons. Cost of operation does not equal twice that
another bus on the same line. Data regarding cost is not now
available but it is hoped that soon this information may be published
in a later issue.
“A feature appreciated by passengers is
heating equipment which through the use of the exhaust heat radiators
interior of the bus as comfortable as a home. A 2-man crew operates
the bus. Following is an abstract of specifications covering
“Specifications of X4 Goodyear
Wheel base - 180 ins. (center of front
Tires - 40 by 8 ins., pneumatic all around
Motor - 6 cylinder, 4 ¾ by 5 ½ ins., Wisconsin 70 hp.
Radiator - Modine ‘Spirex’
Ignition – ‘Philbrin’
Transmission - Cotta model T
Clutch – Hile-Shaw
Speeds - 4 forward, 1 reverse
Gear ratios - Low 50.2 to 1, second 35.6 to 1, third 17.9 to
1, high 92.3 to 1, reverse 45 to 1, rear axle, 7.8 to 1.
Rear Axles — Standard parts model 603 worm drive arranged in
tandem. Ratio 92-3 to l. Equipped with four 1l-in. diameter brakes,
5%-in. width, in pairs 2% ins. wide.
Gasoline capacity - 50 gals.
Turning radius - 35 ft.
Weight, chassis and body complete - 15,400 lbs.
Maximum speed - 25 miles per hour
Body - Built by Caley & Nash Co.,
Rochester, N. Y.; 6
ft. 8 ins. head room, 7 ft. 6 ins. wide, 31 ft. long. Siding
lining ‘Haskelite’ plywood. Upholstering black imitation leather.
springs. Seats 44 passengers. Has driver’s compartment separate from
passengers. Has two doors for entrance and exit located at middle
of bus. Conductor's seat located between the doors.
Designing engineer - E.W. Templin.
“The driver gives his entire attention to
the operation of the bus while a conductor collects fares and
passengers. Adequate lighting is provided by the latest improved
are equipped with positive anti-rattlers and are felt lined. Route
at both front and rear of the bus. Ample space is provided
for hand baggage.
Brakes are set for all six wheels.”
The March 1, 1922 issue of Motor West
announced that Goodyear was developing an eight-wheeled bus:
“Goodyear Building 8-Wheel Bus
“Goodyear is constructing an 8-wheel bus
first in the country - four wheels in front - four in rear all equipped
with 34 x 7
The June 8, 1922 issue of Automotive
Industries announced the debut of Goodyear's eight-wheel bus, which
bore the same Caley & Nash coachwork as the six-wheeled coach:
“Goodyear Makes Bus With Eight Wheels
“Is Development of Present Six-Wheeled
Vehicle — Same Chassis Used
“Akron, June 5 — An eight wheel passenger
bus—an entirely new departure in motor vehicle design—is being
developed by the Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Co. of Akron, which two years ago pioneered in the
development and practical demonstration of the six wheel chassis for
both truck and passenger buses.
“The first six wheel passenger bus
by Goodyear engineers is being remodeled and made into an eight-wheeled
four wheels in the rear and four in front. It will carry a street car
of the Peter Witt type, with pay-enter folding doors and collapsible
and seats and standing room for 55 passengers.
“The new eight-wheeler will have
the same chassis and wheelbase as the six wheeled vehicle, with a
180 in. from the center between the front wheels to the center between
“Goodyear engineers have perfected a
whereby the big bus can be steered by all four front wheels operated
with a single
steering wheel. The front and rear wheels of the front truck have been
with different radius lengths so as to permit proper tracking when the
vehicle is turned and the wheels are at an angle to the chassis.
“Litchfield Worked Out Plan
“His conviction that the ultimate motor
vehicle would be multiple wheeled, taking the same evolution as the
freight car, led to
P.W. Litchfield's working out plans for the first six wheeled motor
ever put into practical use in America several years ago. Litchfield is
vice-president and factory manager of the Goodyear company.
“Six wheeled trucks and buses now are
used regularly in Akron. They have proved to have easier riding
qualities, a lower
center of gravity and better traction, while tire equipment is less
than for a conventional four-wheeled truck with larger wheels. The new
eight-wheeler is expected to make its debut within a month or so.”
The June 1922 issue of India Rubber Review
porvided another take on Goodyear's 8-wheeled coach:
“Goodyear Perfects 8-Wheel Bus
“Power in Four Rear Wheels Steers on Front
Four and has Air
“Having successfully pioneered in the
development and perfection of the first six-wheeled motor vehicle ever
America, engineers of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. of Akron, have
step farther and have given the automotive world another invaluable
contribution, in the perfection of an eight-wheeled passenger bus -
to be the first of its kind in existence.
“One of the outstanding features of the
bus is the fact that for the first time in the history of the
automotive industry an
air brake system, almost identical to that used on street cars and
trains, has been successfully applied for motor vehicular use.
“The new bus has four wheels in rear and
four in front and is steered by all four front wheels, while the bus is
driven by power
in all four rear wheels.
“In working out the steering system so
the big vehicle could he steered by all four front wheels with one
Goodyear engineers found it necessary to develop a new steering system,
permitting the front and rear wheels of the forward truck to swing on
to permit the wheels tracking at an angle.
“The new air braking system is applied to
all eight wheels, giving maximum braking capacity. The ordinary motor
bus brakes are used
for emergency. The air brakes are operated by a small lever on the
dashboard in front of the bus driver. The system was developed by
taking part of the
compression from the top of the motor cylinders by means of a special
attachment, and concentrating it in a small tank suspended to the
chassis. The system permits a 75-pound pressure in the tank, affording
compression for the braking of all eight wheels.
“The new eight-wheeler is equipped with a
street car body patterned closely after the Peter Witt type of
pay-enter street cars.
The body has upholstered seats, adjustable windows, electric lights and
signals for the driver. By means of a special arrangement the big bus,
seats 44 passengers and which will carry 60 including standing room,
made into a one-man type of bus.
“Passengers enter the car from a door in
front, next to the driver's seat, and pass a fare box as they enter,
paying their fare
then. Two doors in the right center of the car, almost flush with the
sidewalk, and operated from the driver's seat, are used as exits. The
of the new bus is considered another important feature. The original
trucks and buses developed by Goodyear were equipped with 40 x 8
But the equalization of the load on eight wheels instead of six,
the designing engineers, permits the use of smaller tires, effecting a
significant saving in cost of tire equipment and in tire depreciation.
eight-wheeler has been equipped with a new size of pneumatic truck
tire, with 34 x 7
tires on all eight wheels.
“The first multiple-wheeled truck built by
Goodyear was developed as a result of the conviction held by Vice
Factory Manager Paul V. Litchfield that the ultimate heavy tonnage
truck or bus
would be a multiple-wheeled vehicle, just as the multiple-wheeled
succeeded the single-truck type for hauling heavier loads.
“The main thought back of the experiments,
however, was to reduce tire expense for truck and bus operators. With
four-wheel truck using 48 x 12 pneumatic tires weighing 398 pounds
each, the use
of eight wheels instead of four and of tandem axles, permits use of 34
x 7 tires
with a reduction in weight of tire equipment of over 300 pounds. In
the eight smaller tires cost considerably less than the four larger
“The multiple-wheel vehicle possesses
riding qualities and better traction, and, in addition proves to be
destructive to roads. In operation it has also been demonstrated that a
eight-wheel vehicle can be operated more economically than a four-wheel
a greater operating radius, greater load capacity, and greater speed
less tire depreciation.
“With motor buses replacing street cars in
many cities, and being used in others in lieu of permanent street car
feeders to existing car lines, the advent of a successful eight-wheeled
bus capable of
carrying sixty passengers, is considered a significant factor in the
development and use of the motor bus. With the weight of the load
eight wheels instead of four, road and truck engineers have estimated
the average road will withstand a load of more than seven tons under
newly developed construction, with no more destructive effect than that
resulting from a three and a half ton load on the ordinary truck
“And as road saving has a tremendous
right now, particularly in cities where buses are being used
engineers believe the new type of eight-wheel vehicle ushers in a new
era for motor bus transportation development, and will prove a great
to motor bus use throughout the country.
“The new eight-wheeled bus has a
75-horsepower motor and has a normal speed of 35 miles an hour.
“The new bus probably will be operated in
Akron in conjunction with a six-wheeled bus Goodyear now is operating
Goodyear Heights, and in all probability will be followed by the
other eight-wheel trucks and buses.”
The June 15, 1922 issue of The Commercial
Vehicle contained a similar article to the previous:
“Goodyear 8-Wheeled Bus Developed
“Chassis Design Will Be Practically Same as
That Used on 6-Wheeled Bus
“Akron, June 5 — An eight wheel
passenger bus — an entirely new departure in motor vehicle design—is
being developed by
the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. of Akron which two years ago
pioneered in the successful development and practical demonstration of
wheel chassis for both trucks and passenger buses.
“The first six wheel
passenger bus perfected by Goodyear engineers is being remodeled and
made into an
eight wheeled bus, with four wheels in the rear and four in front.
It will carry a street car body of the Peter Witt type, with pay-enter
doors and collapsible steps, and seats and standing room for fifty-five
“The new eight-wheeler will have practically
the same chassis and wheel base as the six wheeled vehicle, with a
wheel base of 180
inches from the center between the front wheels to the center between
“Goodyear engineers have perfected a
system whereby the big bus can be steered by all four front wheels
a single steering wheel. The front and rear wheels of the front truck
have been arranged with different radius lengths so as to permit proper
when the vehicle is turned and the wheels are at an angle to the
“His conviction that the ultimate motor
vehicle would be multiple wheeled, taking the same evolution as the
freightcar, led to
P.W. Litchfield's working out plans for the first six wheeled motor
ever put into practical use in America several years ago. Litchfield is
president and factory manager of the Goodyear company. Six wheeled
trucks and buses now are being used regularly in Akron. They have
proved to have
easier riding qualities, a lower center of gravity, and better
The June 24, 1922 issue of Automobile Topics
included a third article on the eight-wheel Goodyear bus:
“Goodyear Perfects Eight-Wheel Truck
“Is Development of Six-Wheel Design
“Has Air Brakes on All Eight Wheels —
Four-Wheel Steer in
Front - Tires Reduced to 34 x 7 All Around.
“An eight-wheel passenger bus has
been completed by the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., Akron. This is a
development of the six-wheel five-ton truck, experimented with by the
company during the past two years. Compared with the earlier type, the
eight-wheel bus is of prime interest because of three important
These include the perfection of an airbrake system, operating on all
eight wheels; a new steering mechanism, operating on all four front
and finally, a reduction in the size of pneumatic tires used. It is
to obtain the maxi-mum saving in tire weight and tire costs that
the Goodyear company has been making these experiments.
“Goodyear engineers have succeeded in
applying to the new bus an air brake system similar to that used on
cars and railroad trains. While the use of air brakes on motor vehicles
attempted in the past, the Company’s engineers claim that theirs is the
first successful application.
“The air brake system, as adapted to
this bus was developed by taking part of the compression from the top
of the engine
cylinders by means of special plugs and confining the pressure thus
obtained in a small tank mounted on the chassis. The system, it is
said, affords a
75-pound air pressure for this use. The brakes are operated by a small
mounted on the dash in front of the driver.
“The second new development is the
by all four front wheels with a single steering-wheel, In order to make
this control, it was necessary to devise a hook-up which would permit
front and rear wheels of the forward truck to swing each at a different
that the wheels would track at an angle.
“In addition to those advantages obtained
the previous multi-wheel designs—namely, easier riding qualities,
and a greater operating radius—the company has with the eight-wheel
effected a further saving in tire weight and tire costs. The
distribution of the
weight of the vehicle and load over a greater number of tires is a big
reducing damage to roads, too.
“On a conventional four-wheel truck
a five-ton load, it would be necessary to use 48 x 12 giant pneumatics,
Company points out. On the first six-wheel trucks developed, the
equipment used consisted of 40 x 8 pneumatics. Now on the new
eight-wheel bus, 34 x 7 tires are used all around.
“The eight-wheel bus has a large
streetcar type body. It is a one-man-operated design, equipped with
windows, electric lights and upholstered seats. The body seats 44
has standing room for nearly 20 more. The entrance door is alongside
driver's seat with a pay-as-you-enter arrangement. Two exit doors in
of the body are operated from the driver's seat.”
The July 1922 issue of Power Wagon included
a fourth article on the 8-wheeler:
“Goodyear Working on 8-Wheeler
“The Goodyear Tire & Rubber
Company, which created so much interest in the development of 6-wheeler
years ago, is working on a new design which employs eight wheels. The
original 6-wheeler is being remodeled and will carry a street-car type
of Peter Witt design, with pay-as-you-enter folding doors and
and seats and standing space for 55 passengers. The chassis and
of the new vehicle are practically the same as in the old one, the
wheels being mounted in two trucks of four each.
“The distance between the center-line of
trucks is 190 inches. The four front wheels will be used for steering
through the operation
of a single steering wheel, the front and rear wheels of the steering
being provided with different turning radii so that the rear ones will
with the front ones.”
Caley & Nash's listing in the 1922 Motor
Caley & Nash, Inc., 1828 East Ave.
Nash, pres.; M.C. Caley, sec-treas., gen’l. mgr., pur. agt.
The following half-page advertisement was
carried in a number of regional papers during 1929:
“Caley & Nash Auto Body Builders -
“Manufacturers of special bodies for all
types of hauling
and transportation equipment – under experience direction located in
at 1828 East Avenue – are large builders of truck bodies being equipped
build any size or style of truck you may want – also, experts on auto
repairing, painting and refinishing and making a special feature of
wrecked cars – known far and wide as leading truck body builders of
open cars – phone Monroe 5126, Rochester.
“The transportation conditions of the
present day demand
many styles and sizes in truck bodies. This firm has made a specialty
building truck bodies. They are prepared to build you a truck body of
or style. No matter upon what chassis you wish to mount the body, they
care of you in the most expert manner. This is a very important service
which adds to the community’s reputation for complete industrial
“For 85 years Caley and Nash, Inc., have
been in business,
serving the residents of Rochester and vicinity. Years of experience
taught them how to do the finest coach work, painting, trimming and
“If you have a car that has been in
and appears a
total wreck, take it to them and they will make it look like new.
“With Vitralite lacquer they can give you
the most durable
finish on the market at a reasonable price. Their service includes top
enclosures, slip covers, sheet metal and fender repairs, springs
“Farmers will find that this firm can
which will not only prove entirely satisfactory but will save them
farmer should have at least one truck. When you deal with this firm and
body built to meet your individual needs you will find that I will meet
your complete approval and commendation in every respect. Anyone
bodies of any size or style will find it. They are always pleased to
any information you may wish and will advise you as to just how truck
can be built to meet your needs. No job is too big for them, yet they
most palatalizing attention to the smallest order.
“In their repair department they have won
reputation as experts in auto repairing, painting and refinishing. This
because they not only have the proper equipment but they have men of
experience in repairing automobiles.
“Not only in the city but in all of the
surrounding territory this well-known firm
is famous for
the expert work they execute in rebuilding wrecked cars and in
damaged cars. Even though many individuals and organizations are
campaigns for more careful driving, the steady and rapid increase in
of vehicles on the streets and highways makes the total elimination of
impossible. For many miles around, experienced motorists have learned
upon this concern for service on wrecked cars. In many cases they have
completely restored wrecked cars which owners had thought were beyond
of expert service.
“In making this review we wish to refer
our readers to
this firm when it comes to the matter of truck bodies and repairing.”
John Sidney Nash passed away on January 7,
1931 after a
lengthy illness, the January 8, 1931 edition of the Rochester Democrat
& Chronicle reporting:
“John S. Nash, Business Man, Dies, Aged 77
“John Sidney Nash, 77, of 1894 East
Caley & Nash, Inc. automobile body builders, and a member of one of
pioneer families of Brighton, died yesterday afternoon at his home
illness of ten weeks.
“Mr. Nash was born in Allen’s Creek, now
the Town of
Brighton, May 30, 1853, and attended Allen’s Creek School. His
to Brighton as early settlers before the advent of canal or railroad.
“Fifty years ago he became associated with
the late John T.
Caley in the carriage and coach business. The business was founded in
an uncle of Mr. Caley. On the death of his partner, Mr. Nash formed the
corporation with himself as president and Mr. Caley’s son, Frank T.
“Mr. Nash leaves his wife; two daughters,
Miss Pauline Nash and
Mrs. Fred Gannett; a son, Wayland Nash, and a brother, Guy Nash. He was
member of Brighton Presbyterian Church, Fairport Lodge of Masons,
Lodge of Elks and Rochester Lodge of Moose.
“Funeral services will be conducted
afternoon at 3:30
o’clock at his home by Rev. Dean B. Bedford, minister of Brighton
Church with burial in Brighton Cemetery.”
1934 classified ad:
“CALEY & NASH, Inc. AUTOMOBILE
AND TRIMMING. BODIES OF SPECIAL DESIGNS. Manufacturers of VANS AND
1828 EAST AVE.”
The following paid article / advertisement was included in the April 28, 1937 edition of the Daily Messenger,
“Noted Concern in Rochester and Vicinity:
“Caley & Nash, Inc. — Truck Bodies
Re-Modeled and Repaired
“Caley & Nash, Inc., 1828 East Ave.,
manufacturers commercial bodies of every description for all makes of
In fact there is nothing in the line of commercial bodies this company
fabricate. Here may be had closed and open bodies for all kinds of
Refrigerator bodies of every style are built and repaired. Special
constructed in all sizes and capacities. Wagons for all kinds of retail
deliveries are also fabricated, such as milk wagons, bakery bodies,
axles are constructed, as well as hoists, frame extensions. Etc. Axles
straightening is also done, as well as chassis straightening and
Springs of all types are installed, repaired and replaced.
“Truck bodies are also remodeled into any
type or designs,
as well as converting to trailers. Bodies made here are noted for their
substantial construction that will withstand hard service. Repairs are
bodies that have been wrecked, damaged or worn. Trailers of all sorts
built, repaired or serviced. This company has always been known for
reliability, having served the trade for a great many years, the priced
found reasonable. Concerns in the market for commercial bodies or
repair work will do well to get in touch with Caley & Nash, Inc.
firms are requested to clip this article for reference when ready for
estimates. Telephone Monroe 5126.”
The Caley family's listing in the 1940 Rochester directory follow:
Caley & Nash, Inc. – inc. NY ’16.
T. Caley, pres.;
Arthur E. Caley, v-pres; Morrill J. Caley, sec-treas. Auto body
automobile painting and trimming, 1828 East Av. tel Monroe 5126
Arthur E. Caley (Cora S.)
v-pres Caley &
Nash, Inc., 1828 East Ave., h. 274 Breck
Frank T. Caley (Eliza J.) pres Caley
Nash Inc 1828 East av h 1341 Park av.
Frank Wilbur Caley (Thelma J.) trimmer,
Caley & Nash Inc. 1828. East av. h. 2123 Titus Ave.
John T. Caley woodwkr Caley & Nash
Inc. 1828. East av. b Blossom rd. Br.
Morrill J. Caley (Arrethea E.) sec-treas,
Caley & Nash Inc. 1828 East av. h.127 Landing rd Br.
William M. Caley (Anna B.) woodwkr Caley
& Nash Inc. 1828 East av. h. 74 Middlesex rd.
By the end of the Second World War, Caley
& Nash’s executives were nearing retirement age, and with no
interested in keeping the firm going, they withdrew from business at
the end of 1947. Their
reals estate was sold to the Wolk Brothers in 1948, who used the
a used car lot for several years, and in 1952 much of the original
was torn down and the corner repurposed as a full service gas station.
In the late 1960s the station was razed to
make room for a new
bank for the Central Trust Co., which was numbered 1820 East Ave.
Trust was originally located a few doors west at 1806 East Ave.) In
Trust was acquired by M&T Bank at which time the upper floors
home of Harris, Chesworth & Obrien, attorneys. In 2009 the
structure was razed to make way for the brand-new East Ave. Wegmans
the corner today.
© 2014 Mark
Theobald for Coachbuilt.com