Alphabetical Index|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

Geographical Index|AK|AL|AR|AZ|CA|CAN|CO|CT|DE|DC|FL|GA|HI|IA|ID
IL|IN|KS|KY|LA|MA|MD|ME|MI|MEX|MN|MO|MS|MT|NC|ND|NE|NH|NJ|NM
NV|NY|OH|OK|OR|PA|RI|SC|SD|TN|TX|UNK|UT|VA|VT|WA|WI|WV|WY
 

quicklinks|buses|cars|customs|designers|fire apparatus|limos|pro-cars|taxis|trailers|trucks|woodies

 
O.J. Beaudette Co.
O.J. Beaudette Company, 1891-1922; Pontiac, Michigan
 
Associated Firms
Ford Motor Co.
     

Oliver J. Beaudette entered the carriage and buggy business in 1891, and by the turn of the century was one of the cityís largest carriage manufacturers. Their factory was located at the intersection of Walnut and Wesson Sts. on the south side of Pontiac and was managed by S.A. Seamens.

Beaudette experienced two fires, the first - in 1901- disrupted business for a short time, but the second - in 1903 - destroyed the entire factory which at the time employed 180 hands. Damages exceeded $75,000, but the factory was insured and a new one was built in its place and the firm returned to manufacturing sleighs, drays and carriages for Pontiacís growing population.

In 1909, Beaudette received their first contracts from the Ford Motor Co. to produce closed bodies for the Model T. They also built bodies for the Jackson Automobile Co. in Jackson, Michigan, but most of their output after 1910 went to Ford.

Some confusion surrounds Beaudette-bodied Model Ts as Ford sometimes referred to them as "Pontiac" bodies, however every Beaudette body featured a stamped body number on the floor boards with a "B" prefix.

Initially most of the Model Tís bodies were supplied by Ford's existing auto body suppliers C.R. Wilson (1903) and Everitt Brothers (1908). O.J. Beaudette (1910), Kelsey-Herbert Co. (1910), American Body Co. (1911), Hayes Mfg. Co.(1911) Milburn Wagon Co. (1911) and Fisher Body Co.(1912), and the Kahler Co. (1915). Wm. Gray & Sons supplied Henry Fordís Windsor assembly plant with automobile bodies from 1906-1912. Regardless of their origin, all of the Model Tís bodies were interchangeable, however the individual parts in a body would not necessarily fit a similar-looking body if it was made by a different manufacturer. Ford even built their own body plant in the mid-teens to help keep up with demand.

Most of FordĎs body suppliers did not supply the Model Tís fenders, with the exception of the Hayes Mfg. Co., who had supplied the Ford Motor Co. with fenders from day one. As Fordís needs increased, additional Hayes-owned plants supplied additional fenders as required. The J.W. Murray Mfg. Co. of Detroit and Ecorse, Michigan also supplied Ford with Model T fenders and other stamped-metal products such as hoods and frames. O.J. Beaudette and the American Top Co. of Jackson, Michigan supplied Ford with most of the Model Tís convertible tops.

O.J. Beaudette supplied Ford with well over 2,000,000 bodies from 1910-1922 when the firm was purchased by Fisher Body Co.

Beaudette Production for Ford Motor Co.

1910-1912

unknown

1913

53,794

1914

101,369

1915

170,027

1916

277,621

1917

361,292

1918

113,298

1919

293,067

1920

290,381

1921

230,434

1922

109,913 (until July 20)

Today, Pontiacís Rotary Park (aka Beaudette Park) stands on the original site of the O.J. Beaudette Co. factory at Walnut and Wesson Sts.

In the early twenties, the Fisher Body Co. was looking to purchase additional plants located near existing General Motors plants, and found the huge 1,393,004 sq ft. Beaudette factory on their short list. So on July 20th, 1922 Fisher purchased the O.J. Beaudette Co., and commenced the manufacture of bodies for Chevrolet and Oakland automobiles. By the end of the year a new plant on the North side of the city was under construction just east of Baldwin Ave., adjacent to the Grand Trunk Western railroad tracks and the original Beaudette factory was torn down.

Oliver J. Beaudette and Edward M. Murphy, Walter M. Murphyís uncle, were founding members of Pontiacís St. Vincent DePaul Catholic church at 46408 Woodward Ave. The Beaudette residence is now an Oakland University fraternity house, and his sonís house at 269 W. Huron St., which once housed the Pontiac YWCA, has been restored and remains a cornerstone of the cityís historic Franklin Park district.

© 2004 Mark Theobald - Coachbuilt.com

<previous

 

 

 

 
Pictures

<previous    
   
 
References

Beverly Rae Kimes & Henry Austin Clark - Standard Catalog of American Cars: 1805-1942

Model T Times, November-December, 1999

George H. Dammann - 90 Years of Ford

   
 
Submit Pictures or Information

Original sources of information are given when available. Additional pictures, information and corrections are most welcome.

Click Here to submit pictures or information

   

quicklinks|buses|cars|customs|designers|fire apparatus|limos|pro-cars|taxis|trailers|trucks|woodies


© 2004-2014 Coachbuilt.com, Inc.|books|disclaimer|index|privacy