VEC - Vehicle Equipment Co. - 1901-1905 - Brooklyn, New York - 1905-1906 - Long Island City, New York (later General Vehicle Co. 1906-1917)
This was one of the most important early builders of electric vehicles in America, making many of the sightseeing 'rubberneck' buses which plied in New York, Washington and other cities. Other products included ambulances, brewery trucks, tipping coal trucks and special vehicles for lifting safes to the upper stories of office buildings, handling' machinery and withdrawing telephone cables from underground conduits. In 1906 the name was changed to General Vehicle Company, and the products to G.V.
The Vehicle Equipment Co. of Long Island City NY produced a large number of commercial-purpose electric vehicles (e.g. delivery trucks) from 1901 to 1906. They produced a 3-seater electric car, the V.E. Electric, from 1903 to 1905. Most, if not all, vehicles were shaft-drive. Vehicle types produced included broughams, victorias, hansoms, landaulets, and commercial vehicles include trucks and sightseeing buses. The factory burned in 1904, and was rebuilt. The company went into receivership in 1906, and was resurrected after reorganization as the General Vehicle Company.
General Vehicle Company 1906-1917?? Long Island City, N. Y. (Subsidiary of the General Electric Company?)
Known electric vehicle builder (GV Electric) who also built buses and funeral vehicles in the early part of the 20th century.
Day Baker of General Vehicle Co. Will Discuss Electric Vehicles at MIT
In the first two decades of the 20th century, Long Island City was a hub of industrial activity, and the news that the government had taken over two of its largest plants was greeted with interest. The Stewart-Warner Speedometer Company on Jackson Avenue and the General Vehicle Company on Borden Avenue were to be used to manufacture materials needed for war supplies and it was anticipated that other plants would follow. (1917 article)
IN 1914 The French-designed Gnome rotary engine was built under license by the General Vehicle Company in Long Island City, New York, and was used in Cole Palen's first Fokker triplane until a cylinder departed the engine in mid-flight.
The US Army purchased a number of Peerless trucks. They were well liked by the Army. When WW1 broke out, England purchased 12,000 Peerless Truck Chassis and used them in the war, suppling the Army's in Europe. Peerless changed the corporate name to Peerless Truck and Motor Car Company in the teens. This was a result of a stock take-over that took place in 1915. The General Vehicle Company from Long Island was involved with this.
Kenneth J. Boedecker began his engine career in 1914, working in the Long Island shops of a General Electric subsidiary called General Vehicle Company
|For more information please read:
|© 2004 Coachbuilt.com, Inc. | Index | Disclaimer | Privacy|