Sheller Mfg. Co. - 1925-1966 - Sheller-Globe Corp. - 1967-present - now owned by Lear Corp.
Sheller-Globe supplied Ford with 12' and 14' van bodies for Ford's Econoline cutaway chassis that was sold through Ford dealers from 1975.
Sheller-Globe also owned Superior Body in the 1970s.
Lear Corp. Automotive Systems (formerly Sheller-Globe Corp.) American Trading and Production Corp (ATAPCO)
Sheller-Globe Corp. acquired by General Felt Industries
Iowa City, IA - Keokuk, Iowa - Grabill, Indiana (Montpelier, Indiana) Tupelo, MS
In 1969, Sheller Globe Corporation of Toledo, Ohio acquired The Superior Coach Company. Sheller-Globe later sold its Superior Coach funeral-car business in 1981 to Tom Earnhart, an entrepreneur with strong roots in the limousine industry. Darrel Metzger, Superior's long-time funeral car and ambulance sales manager, ran the business for Mr. Earnhart and later became president.
The Union Auto building is currently used as a storage facility for the Sheller-Globe Corporation, which manufactures plastic and zinc automotive parts in Union City, Indiana.
Sheller-Globe uses robots and automated controls to final-finish chrome-plated, automotive trim parts at their Plastics Products Division plant
Sheller-Globe of Canada Limited
1882: The Globe Files Company was incorporated in Ohio, founded with $60,000 in capital stock.
1884: The Globe Files Company introduces its patented “Globe System of Filing Papers”.
1889: The Adams Brothers Company was formed in Topeka, Kansas. While the family prepared for their sister's wedding on May 1, 1889, Charles, Guy and William Adams were setting up their first foot powered press in their mother's kitchen.
1893: The Wernicke Company was established in Minneapolis. Soon after, they invented and introduced the “Elastic Bookcase”.
1898: Globe Company, along with Edwin Seibels fabricated the first filing system to hold papers in a vertical position. This breakthrough in office systematization is displayed in the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. as the prototype of the modern vertical file.
1899: Globe Company purchases the Wernicke Company and renames itself Globe-Wernicke Company.
1903: Ernest Hazel, Sr. begins selling county courthouse record binders for the Trade Printing Company in Atchison, Kansas. Shortly after, Charles Lockwood and Ernest Hazel, Sr. form a partnership under the company name Lockwood-Hazel Company. In this arrangement, Lockwood manufacturers the binders and Hazel sells them.
1905: Globe-Wernicke company acquires large timber holdings in Alabama, leading to a number of later purchases throughout United States and Canada.
1908: Under a new name, The Adams Brothers Manifold Printing Company began utilizing an amazing technological breakthrough - an electric powered printing press.
1911: Globe-Wernicke aggressively expanded its branch offices throughout the United States and Europe during this decade (1911-1921).
1931: Ernest Hazel, Jr. joins his father at the Lockwood-Hazel Company to sell county courthouse record binders. Within a few years the company develops and patents a unique locking device.
1932: Globe-Wernicke forced into receivership as result of Great Depression and industry price wars.
1934: Globe-Wernicke emerged from receivership.
1941: Name changed to "The Adams Brothers Salesbook Company" to reflect top selling products.
1942: 90% of the largest Globe-Wernicke manufacturing facility in Norwood, Ohio is dedicated to wartime production of wing flaps, troop seats, nacelle doors, tail cones, and furniture items for ships.
1945: With Ernest Hazel, Sr. now retired from the Lockwood-Hazel Company, his son, Ernest Hazel, Jr. also leaves and starts his own bindery business in a 10” x 14” loft in downtown St. Louis, Missouri.
1951: Globe-Wernicke introduces "Techniplan", an office partition system recognized as the forerunner of today's open-plan, modular office systems (cubicals).
1954: Ernest Hazel, Jr. develops a revolutionary county record binder with protective vinyl sleeves. Using the equipment needed to seal the sleeves and leftover vinyl scraps, the company develops and begins handing out their first advertising specialty to the court reporters: Pocket Protectors imprinted with “Hazel- Bound to Be Good”. This marked the beginning of company's tremendous growth and success in the promotional products market.
1962: The Adams Brothers Salesbook Company name is again changed. This time to "Adams Business Forms" to reflect a broader line of products now being sold.
1963: Globe-Wernicke buys the Weis Manufacturing Company, changes name to Globe-Weis Systems Company.
1965: The “Hazel” brand of business products was first sold in the Retail Market.
1966: Globe-Wernicke merges with Sheller Corporation, and changes company name to Sheller-Globe.
1972: Weldo, a Canadian-based loose-leaf binder manufacturer, purchased Graphic Products from Durand, and relocated its U.S. binder manufacturing operation to Chicago in 1974. Continued expansion soon required the establishment of a separate facility for Cardinal.
1973: Sheller-Globe acquires and adds Red Rope Industries (along with their Accordion expanding line and EzyIndex products) to their Globe Weis division.
1977: Hazel, Inc. is the new company name given to Ernest Hazel, Jr., Inc.
1981: Jostens, Inc. purchases Durand and all trademarks and patents, including the Slant-D binder. They operate this division separate from jewelry recognition under division name Cardinal Graphic Products.
1984: Hazel, Inc. sells Bindery Division that makes county courthouse record books (1984) and two years later (1986) sells remainder of company to Jostens, Inc. New name is Jostens Business Products Group.
1987: American Trading and Production Company purchases Jostens Business Products Division and Globe-Weis. Operates them under new name - ATAPCO Office Products Group.
1999: ATAPCO Office Products Group is sold and operates briefly under name Eagle OPG, Inc.
2000: Cardinal Brands, Inc. is formed through merger between Adams Business Forms, Inc. and Eagle OPG, Inc.
2002: Cardinal Brands, Inc. adds new brand: Witty One for creative educational materials for children.
Globe Motor Truck Company, Northville, Mich., 1917-1919
The Globe was one of the earliest commercial vehicles using a side-valve 6-cylinder engine, although this was dropped in favor of 4-cylinder types by Continental in 1918. Rated capacities ranged from 1500 pounds to two tons. The largest version used wheelbase of 154 inches. (could this be a predecessor of Sheller-Globe?)
|For more information please read:
Bob Linehan - Company Profiles: The Early Years: 1882-1945
Thomas J. Hench - An Evolutionary History of the Office Systems Furniture Industry and the Nature of Strategic Change
|© 2004 Coachbuilt.com, Inc. | Index | Disclaimer | Privacy|