Oren-Roanoke Corp. - 1949-1974 - Roanoke, Virginia & Vinton, Virginia
Claiming to be 'the South's only fire truck manufacturer', this company built mainly equipment on commercial chassis, but in 1949 they introduced their own custom chassis using 190 and 240bhp engines. Some components were of Corbitt origin. By 1963 they were using a custom chassis made by Duplex with Cincinnati cab. In 1974 Oren-Roanoke was acquired by the Howe Fire Apparatus Co. of Anderson, Indiana.
The Oren Roanoke Corporation of Roanoke, Virginia built fire apparatus
from 1940 to 1980 when it was absorbed by Grumman, according to information
from the Virginia Museum of Transportation, where this 1955 pumper is
displayed. One of two manufactured for General Electric, it was delivered to
the GE plant in Salem, Virginia in December 1955. It has a Ven Pelt pump
that delivers 400 GPM at 120 pounds pressure, and carries six CO2
extinguishers on each side of the truck.
Many trucks released by the Willys factory as pickups or "stripped chassis" were adapted by after-market manufacturers including the Oren Roanoke Corp. of Roanoke, Virginia. These conversions also included Forward Control fire trucks built from the cab-over-engine trucks produced by Willys from 1956-65.
|For more information please read:
|© 2004 Coachbuilt.com, Inc. | Index | Disclaimer | Privacy|