A.C. Miller & Co. - 1920s-1940s - Atlanta, Georgia
A. C. Miller & Co.- Atlanta, Georgia – 1936 Millerbuilt bodies - Present body was built by AC Miller & Co., Atlanta, GA. in 1938. - Washington directed his faculty to "take their teaching into the community." Carver responded by designing a "movable school" that students built. The wagon was named for Morris K. Jesup, a New York financier who gave Washington the money to equip and operate the "movable school." The first movable school was a horse-drawn vehicle called a Jesup Agricultural Wagon. Later it was a mechanized truck, still called a Jesup Wagon, that carried agricultural exhibits to county fairs and community gatherings.
By 1930, the "Booker T. Washington Agricultural School
on Wheels" carried a nurse, a home demonstration agent, an agricultural
agent, and an architect to share the latest techniques with rural people.
Later, community services were expanded, and educational films and lectures
were circulated in local churches and schools. The "movable school" was the
cornerstone of Tuskegee's extension services and epitomized the Institute's
doctrines of self-sufficiency and self-improvement. Model 60 chassis
manufactured by the White Motor Company, 1930. Serial #60-170765. Six
cylinder engine with manual drive. The truck body was added by Tuskegee
Institute. Present body was built by A. C. Miller & Co., Atlanta, GA. in
1938. Chassis has dual wheels on rear. Exterior is sheet metal, the interior
is plywood, oak frame, waterproof canvas top and imitation leather seats.
The wagon has two rear doors.
For more information please read:
|© 2004 Coachbuilt.com, Inc. | Index | Disclaimer | Privacy|