McKay Carriage Company - McKay Body Works - 1876-1940s - Grove City, Pennsylvania
McKay Carriage Company - later McKay Body Works - Grove City Pennsylvania built smaller bus bodies in teens and twenties on Ford Model T & Olds chassis. Known production dates from 1913, 1920.
Known Fire Apparatus builder at least through 1939, probably through WWII.
1876 McKay Carriage Works established
McKAY CARRIAGE WORKS DESTROYED BY FIRE ó 1897
When fire on the night of August 20, 1897, swept through the large McKay Carriage factory, it seemed to carry with it the destruction of Grove Cityís largest industrial plant. Less than a year later, however, a larger factory arose from the ashes, which prospered until the automobile destroyed the market of carriages.
Alex B. McKay, the senior member of the firm first began the business of carriage and wagon making in Irishtown, near Pardoe, two years after his return from the Union Army. His first beginning as a wagon-makerís shop, made new carriages, and repaired old vehicles. After working nine years there, he moved to Grove City, then but a village with a few scattering houses in 1876. He formed a partnership with D. M. and P. W. Morrow in the same business, the shop being located on what is now the college campus. This partnership was dissolved in 1879, and he then located a shop of his own on Broad Street. He remained in this location a few years and then built a new shop at Center and Blair Streets and confined the business under one roof. As business grew, he added new and larger buildings and in 1892 his brother Robert, who has been engaged in the sale of farming implements and carriages in Mercer, became associated with him.
With each succeeding year, the business continued to increase, and when the flames swept the factory out of existance (sic) in 1897, a large and profitable wholesale trade had been established, and the firm was unable to manufacture its products fast enough to meet the demand. Plans were prepared fast for a new building in September 1897 and it was completed in December 1897.
In January 1904 this building was completely destroyed by fire, but was immediately replaced with the present plant. The building is located on North Center and Erie Streets and now houses the business establishment of P. Wall Mfg. Co.
McKay & McChesney business in Grove City. The first McKay business in Grove City on Broad Street, about 1883.
The sign on the top of the building reads: "Roofing Spouting Wagons Farming Implements Buggies Harness Engines Pumps and Repairs"
Mercer Dispatch, 14 June 1929:
Alexander B. McKay, aged 85, Civil War veteran and one of the first industrial leaders of Grove City, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. L.D. Shafer at St. George, Staten Island, N.Y. on June 5 of the infirmities of old age. He was born in Findley township in 1844. He enlisted in Co. H., 100th Pennsylvania Volunteers in 1864 and served throughout the war. In 1870 he married Annie Paxton. Six years later he moved to Grove City and founded the McKay Carriage company. He was always active in the affairs of the town and community and was one of the charter members of Marion Craig post. G.A.R., of which there are now but three survivors. He made his home with his daughter for about 18 months. He body was brought to Grove City and on Saturday was buried from the home of his sister, Mrs. M.B. Montgomery, with Rev. C.H. Williamson in charge of the services. Survivors are the widow, one son William McKay of Greenville; two daughters, Mrs. Shafer and Mrs. Nelson Sutter of Orange, N.J., a sister, Mrs. Montgomery and a brother James C. McKay of Grove City.
Robert McKay - Son of William and Elizabeth McKay; owner McKay Carriage Company; Married Rebecca Moon - born 1851 died 1910
Ray W. McKay, representative from Mercer County in the Pennsylvania Legislature.
Ray W. McKay was born 30 Apr 1883 in Springfield Township, the son of Robert and Rebecca Moon McKay. He graduated from Grove City High School, attended Grove City College and worked at the McKay Body Works (formerly McKay Carriage Co.)
He served with the 112th Infantry as adjutant and plans and training officer during World War I. He died in 1941.
McKay Body Works later engaged in Autos Sales and Mechanical Work, Ray W. McKay served as president for a time. Ray was the son of Robert and Rebecca Moon McKay.
Founded by Alex .B. McKay in 1876. Later owned with his brother Robert (Bob) McKay. Their sons, Ray McKay and Lew McKay also worked at the firm in the late 1800s through the teens.
The men in the photo are identified as follows:
Top Row, Left to Right: Clarence McMillan, Mr. Morrow, Mr. Cochran, Harry Miles, Frank Rugar, Mont Cochran, Lew McKay. The young boy is standing in front of the second man is Ray McKay.
Second Row, Left to Right: Bob McKay, Mr. Patterson, Joe Clark, Mr. Ramsey, John Williams and, Half Standing, Walter Smoyer
Front Row, Left to Right: Mr. Bish, George Gregory, Sam Lawrence, Billy Galbreath, Alex. B. McKay (Founder).
For more information please read:
|© 2004 Coachbuilt.com, Inc. | Index | Disclaimer | Privacy|