Brantford Carriage Company 1880s-1930s & Brantford Coach & Body Co. 1930s-1960s now Trailmobile - Brantford, Ontario, Canada (aka Canada Body & Carriage Co. Ltd.)
Known medium volume professional car builder on LaSalle chassis. LaSalle shipped 13 commercial chassis to Canada Body & Carriage in 1937 through their GM Oshawa, Ontario Branch. Another 13 were shipped in 1938, and 9 were shipped in 1939. (In its records, GM sometimes referred to Brantford Coach & Body as Canada Body and Carriage Co Ltd.)
Brantford Coach and Body – Brantford, Ontario, Canada - Read this fascinating account of how most of the major carriage and wagon manufacturers in Ontario merged and, with the help of Cockshutt Plow Company, evolved out of the pre-automobile era. Follow the story of Adams Waggon, Brantford Carriage, Carriage Factories and others as they diversified out of building horse drawn vehicles and through mergers eventually became Brantford Coach and Body. Further takeovers involved Trailmobile and Fruehauf Trailer until the final company became the largest trailer manufacturer in Canada. Trailmobile Canada: Trailmobile's Canadian division was, for a portion of its existence, a completely separate company. Here is a site where you can purchase a book about the history of Trailmobile Canada entitled "From Wagon to Trailer". By Michael Hand
Brantford Coach & Body of Brantford, Ontario built Henney bodies under license for sale in Canada. Also known to have built some hearses on McLaughlin-Buick chassis in the early 1930s (1933).
1938 INTERNATIONAL D15 - Custom Built Tow Car
This custom-made, one of a kind vehicle was built exclusively for the purpose of towing the Aerocar trailer. Initially the trailer was pulled by a 1936 Plymouth coupe, but it soon proved to be somewhat underpowered. In order to realize the full benefits of this travel trailer, the owner commissioned the International Truck Plant in Chatham, Ontario to custom design this unique little workhorse.
A 1938 custom D-Line cab and chassis with a shortened wheelbase was chosen as the basic unit. A four-speed transmission gets the power to the dual rear wheels through a two-speed rear end. Powering up the unit is an International Green Diamond (GRD-233) six-cylinder, L-head engine. Bore, 3-5/16"; Stroke, 4-1/2"; Piston displacement, 232.65 cu. in.; Compression pressure, 110-120 lbs.; Horsepower, 93 @ 3400 R.P.M.; Maximum torque, 181 ft. lbs. @ 1000 R.P.M.
The body was custom fabricated in Brantford, Ontario by Brantford Coach. Moulded steel panels were fastened to hardwood framing members.
Since this travel unit was chauffeur driven, it was self-contained, even without the trailer. It would seat seven persons; the windows had pull-down blinds, and the six-foot long rear seat opened out to form a double bed. Storage compartments were provided for the heavy-duty batteries, the delco generator, and even a swing-out sink for the chauffeur. An intercom system connected the two units.
At the rear deck, a roll-down covering exposes the "Glenn Curtiss Aero Coupler".
The coupled length of the combined unit is 35 feet and it weighs in at approximately 5 tons.
Owned and restored by:
1911 This is the year CPCO bought out Frost and Wood, Adams wagon, and Brantford Carriage, which tied into the new capital, and incorporation date. Cockshutt family members remained in control of management and still supplied much of the working capital. Frost and Wood continued for some time to operate it's own branches in the east, and have it's own catalog and management.
1954 Cockshutt Aircraft produced $3,686,000 of the jet engine parts. New product lines included the #422 Pull type combines, SP427, and SP428 Self Propelled Combines. Brantford Coach and Body is rated Canada's largest truck body and trailer manufacturer.
1958 Brantford Coach and Body built a new one and a half million dollar factory. This was to satisfy demands for orders The stock market was down and many stocks including Cockshutt's were under priced. In addition Cockshutt had spent huge sums of money developing and introducing there new line of tractors. Industry sales were off a bit and profits had been poor for several years. But the book value had remained high and the "break-up" value appeared to be excellent. It was for these reasons that Cockshutt became one of the early casualties of "corporate raiders" A New York group which specialized in stripping companies for there cash value, obtained control with 30% of the voting stock and replaced the Board of Directors, with there own appointee's.
1961 Ashton Cockshutt, President of The Brantford Coach and Body, was the last family member working for the company when it was broken up and sold off in pieces, for cash, to the highest bidder. The cash was taken to Florida, and the only truly Canadian farm equipment company became history. White Farm equipment who bought out part of the implement manufacturing division, were able to claim credit for a pair of brand new Self Propelled Combines into which it had no input.
1962 Brantford Coach and Body, a wholly owned subsidiary, had been one of the most profitable divisions for many years. "Brantford Brand" highway semi trailers and dump trucks were the best sellers in Canada. It was one of the last pieces to be sold, eventually becoming a part of Trailmobile. Several years after the purchase of Cockshutt by White Farm Equipment, the parent company went into bankruptcy, and both companies were sold off in pieces.
Cockshutt Farm Equipment had already made it's imprint on the farm equipment industry around the world. It's many inventions have helped the style and profitability of farming throughout North America. For many it was a "family place" to work, with nice people and honest principals. Still today the examples of its products and it's contributions to the less fortunate stand as memorials to the enterprise and generosity of several generations of Cockshutt's and those who worked for them. It will be long remembered as a fine example of Canadian ingenuity and industry.
Brantford Motor Truck Co. Ltd., Brantford, Ont.
The Brantford was introduced with a dash-mounted radiator and was available in models from 2/3 to 1 1/2 tons. They introduced the idea of a removable body which could be left at a loading bay while the truck was delivering a full load. In 1917 production was switched to the BrantFord, a 1-ton pick-up which was basically an elongated Model T Ford with chain drive. The company is still in business making truck bodies and trailers.
As a postscript to last year's Brantford Coachworks article, enclosed is-a photo of our 1940 Brantford-Henney Packard Carved Panel Hearse. This carved hearse body is mounted on a Packard 1801-A chassis and is equipped with a three-way casket table, coach lamps, a single side-mounted spare tire and a "cathedral" interior. - 1940 Packard Carved-Panel Hearse, built by the Brantford Coach & Body Company Ltd. of Brantford, Ontario. The carved drapery panels were possibly originally painted light gray, contrasting with the black body.
The Professional Car Issue #66, Fourth Quarter 1992
CAW Union in Brantford
In 1936, the Congress of Industrial Organizations was born in the United States, a by-product of the internal
wrestling with in the American Federation of Labour regarding the proposal to organize mass production industry on
an industrial basis. John L. Lewis, of the United Mine Workers, rejected the exclusivity of the anachronistic craft
union and withdrew from the ALF to form the CIO.
|For more information please read:
Ron Van Gelderen & Matt Larson - LaSalle: Cadillac's Companion Car
Michael Hand - From Wagon To Trailer: A History of Trailmobile Canada and its Forerunners
Dennis McGrew - Cockshutt: The Complete Story
|© 2004 Coachbuilt.com, Inc. | Index | Disclaimer | Privacy|