John Bean Co. - FMC - 1904-present - Lansing, Michigan
John Bean is one of the world's leading brands of automotive wheel service equipment. The company's roots began with a retired inventor, John Bean, in 1904. He founded the John Bean Spray Pump Company. When the company merged with a nearby food machinery company, it became the Food Machinery & Chemical Company (FMC). In 1996 Snap-On Corporation acquired the automotive equipment division from FMC and renamed it John Bean honoring the original founder.
From the start, John Bean was a pioneer in innovative technologies to meet the growing demands of the ever-growing automotive industry. During the early 1900's John Bean's state-of-the-art pressure pumps were often used as portable fire fighting pumps. When the pumps were mounted in trucks, one of the earliest motorized fire trucks came into being. In the 1940s Bean pioneered the high-pressure fog pump, a device now standard on most new fire-fighting vehicles.
Both Bean-equipped and Bean-bodied Fire Apparatus continued to be built through the 1970s in Lansing, Michigan.
Today Bean's parent firm, FMC - Food Machinery Co., is a large international firm specializing in military vehicles, food handling equipment and agricultural chemicals.
Many trucks released by the Willys factory as pickups or "stripped chassis" were adapted by after-market manufacturers including John Bean Co. of Lansing, Michigan. These conversions also included Forward Control fire trucks built from the cab-over-engine trucks produced by Willys from 1956-65.
xxxxxIn the 1940s FMC entered the defense business and began producing amphibious vehicles for the military. The company receives a $60 Million order for military vehicles during WWII.
In the 1980s FMC was awarded a $206 million contract to produce the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.
|For more information please read:|
|© 2004 Coachbuilt.com, Inc. | Index | Disclaimer | Privacy|