Autocar - 1899-1995 - Ardmore, Pennsylvania
|Originally formed in 1897 as the Pittsburgh Motorcar
Company, in 1899, they changed their name to Autocar and moved to Ardmore Pennsylvania. They soon started building
passenger cars and soon offered a short wheelbase COE delivery van in 1908. The Autocar trucks enjoyed much
more success than their automobile and in 1911 the firm decided to concentrate on trucks. In 1912 Autocar introduced
a line of cab-over-engine (COE) funeral cars and ambulances which resembled earlier horse-drawn professional
vehicles adn were quite unlike any other available at the time.
Autocar became one the largest truck producers in the world and manufactured thousands of vehicles for the US Army during WWI and WWII.
They were purchased by White in 1954, but continued to produce trucks under the Autocar name until 1995, when their then owner Volvo decided to drop the White and Autocar name.
|For more information please read:
|© 2004 Coachbuilt.com, Inc. | Index | Disclaimer | Privacy|